Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Speedo is 10kmh out. Speed sensor?

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Hey all as previously posted if my VP 5 speed is rolling (even out my driveway) At any speed at all the revs stay really high right up until it stops rolling, Then drops to a nice idle speed. Also went for a cruise in it today with my missus following in her Excel & She swears i was doing 70 in the 60 zones & 60 in the 50 zones!! But my speedo was reading 60 & 50..... Could this be a Speed sensor issue? Speedo doesnt jump & there is no error codes. Any ideas? Also where would i get a new one if required for the T5 & how much. Sorry 4 the essay. Cheers :D

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
get a phone with a gps to check it.
if it is a constant 10km hr then maybe replace cluster of speedo or if you are a real cheapskate twist the needle back and test it untill you get it right.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
1. have you been past speed camera's?
2. have you got a fine from them speed camera's?

if the answer to 1 is yes, and no to 2...... then dont worry about it :) i wouldn't

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
1. What size wheels + tires you got
2. Diff gears?
3. Factory Manual?
4. Do you wear glasses?
5. Can you read english?

aZk.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I'm skidding around in my mum's excel at the moment, and I know the speedo in that is shagged. It's out by 10kph at 50-80. So find another way to test your speedo before you decide that it's rooted. Excels aren't the most accurate themselves.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
1. What size wheels + tires you got
2. Diff gears?
3. Factory Manual?
4. Do you wear glasses?
5. Can you read english?

aZk.

1. 15 inch 205s
2. Too long (factory)
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes

Thankyou this has been very helpful.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Hey all as previously posted if my VP 5 speed is rolling (even out my driveway) At any speed at all the revs stay really high right up until it stops rolling, Then drops to a nice idle speed. Also went for a cruise in it today with my missus following in her Excel & She swears i was doing 70 in the 60 zones & 60 in the 50 zones!! But my speedo was reading 60 & 50..... Could this be a Speed sensor issue? Speedo doesnt jump & there is no error codes. Any ideas? Also where would i get a new one if required for the T5 & how much. Sorry 4 the essay. Cheers :D

Anyone? And got a code today, Guess which one..... 24! Speed sensor! Any idea where its located (been told behind the cluster :( And how much im lookin at paying?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
you can get a speedo corrector kit from jaycar for $50 and there is a how to on the froums for the install, if it is the speed sensor and you want to replace it and if it is located behind the cluster dont let that put you off as clusters are one of the easiest things to pull out and apart

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Anyone? And got a code today, Guess which one..... 24! Speed sensor! Any idea where its located (been told behind the cluster :( And how much im lookin at paying?

The speed sensor is on the side of the transmission, recognisable by the cylindrical white three pin plug attached to it. The raw signal from that goes to the printed circuit board in the instrument cluster before being sent to the ECM. A fault anywhere in those circuits can trigger the code.

A speed sensor, instrument cluster and ECM will all be available inexpensively from wreckers, POA. However, they may also be faulty or the fault may lie in the wiring or connectors.