Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vh Vacationer - Ecotec

Quivr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Vacationer Wagon
Name: Matthew
Model: 1982 VH Vacationer Wagon
Colour: Beige
Bodykit: None
Engine Type: VS Ecotec V6
Engine Mods: Stock
Power: 168.8hp dyno from 3/11/07 - 15.22 @ 89.02mph
Exhaust: HM headers and 2.5" exhaust from Cat Back
Gearbox: Auto 4l06e
Diff: Single Spinner Small Sals.
Brakes: disks up front, drums at rear
Suspension: Stock
Wheels/Tyres: 205 wide on 15" chasers with 3 vs hubcaps :p
Interior: Vs Front Seats, VH rear seats Vinyl dyed dash, VS Cluster, vs shifter, new floor carpet
Other Mods: Power Steering, Removed Aircon, Hidden Wiring, Gas Bonnet Struts, SS Induction CAI, New Aerial, Relocate Battery to Boot, Cold Air Intake.
Stereo: Pioneer 6950ib Deck. 6.5" Eclipse Splits for Fronts, 6" Eclipse for Rear and 4 Channel Eclipse Amp
Build Period: Started May 2007
Cost: $1300 for VH, $850 for VS Wreck
Contacts: Me
Thanks: Mettam Mufflers, HUGE thanks to Justin (couldn't of done it with out ya), Beno, Dylan, My Olds and tha missus.
Future Mods: Vk side mirrors and side indicators, remove rust, Venetians, Vt Brake Conversion, VS GTS front and rear seats, reversed plenum and GT35 turbo.

What do ya think

Quivr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Vacationer Wagon
Engine Bay
DSCF1100-1.jpg

Front
DSCF1531.jpg

Dyno Chart
DSCF1110.jpg

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Awesome :) great way to keep the oldies alive and usefull (without making you bankrupt with all the fuel drinking) for another decade or two. Bet it's given a few VN's a wake up call too :)

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Hi mate. I own a vh Sedan, and I want to put an ecotec motor into it. How hard of a job is it? Were you able to do it by yourself? What hassles did you have? Was there any mods you had to make? Cheers!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Got any interior pics?

Quivr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Vacationer Wagon
cheers fellas

vkwalks39 - Its a pretty straight forward job. Best way to do it is buy a damaged vs commodore and transplant everything for the conversion across. The wiring is probably the hardest but i redid all the power and earths, hid the wiring in the engine bay, relocated the fuses under the dash, relocated the battery to the boot and i am using the vs dash cluster. If ya got any more questions just ask.

More pics
DSCF1154.jpg

passengercarpet_M.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

Car is planned to be going in for a few changes in the next few months. Just waiting on ok from the boss ( missus ) but plan is for a single turbo, suspension rebuild, vlt diff and transmission work.

Plan is also to remove rust and give it a full repsray (thinking the new ve blue) but not til after turbo setup. Hope to have it completed before Powercruise

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
G'day!Did you need a engineer certificate for the V6 conversion? You mentioned that the wiring was difficult to do. Did you do it yourself? Or did you get a professional to help you? Did you have to do any mods to the tailshaft? If so what were they? Did you use the vh's or vs's front struts? Last of all, one more question. How does the car drive with the v6 in it? Thanks for your advice!!! Cheers!!!

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Very interesting conversion. Bet it would go well and get a few biwildered looks as you burn off past guys.

Quivr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Vacationer Wagon
You will need an engineer cert for the conversion. I havent yet due to the planned turbo work that will be going on. I will just get it done at the one time.

A mate of mine did the wiring for me. I gave him a hand but he did most of the work. I think you can buy wiring kits for the conversion from V6 Conversions. But i you want a car elec to do it they may charge upwards of $1000.

Im using the Vh tailshaft. Didnt modify it. You may want to replace the uni joint thou. Mine after a few months started to make a lot of noises but that probably due to the driving and the old uni joints. The front part of the tailshaft fits into the 4 speed and bolts up to the tailshaft like normal.

Im using the Vh struts. No need replacing what works. Just bolt the k frame up and away ya go.

Last edited:

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Thanks mate, for info. cheers