Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my vin and engine number dont match, how can i get the orignal engine number?

billswis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hello i recently bought a s-pac 89 vn, it has a 5 speed..

I tried to rego the car but was not the orignal engine, the vin is 6H8VNK19HKL329634.
Is there anyway to find original engine number?
Help please!!

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
You shouldn't need the original engine number to rego it. And the original engine number won't do much if that engine isn't in the car.

billswis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Cheers
But went into service sa with the engine number thats in there with that vin and couldnt do it.
Are there any decent vin check sites, for free..
If the engine has been swaped since rego ran out, doesnt it go though regency inspection?
If they could find the papers it would save alot of time lol

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
In reply to your PM, I can only speak for NSW, but as far as I know over here all you have to do is get the new engine number verified by a mechanic via a blue slip (assuming same engine type, nothing changed etc), then take the blue slip and proof of ownership of the new engine (receipt or whatever) to the traffic authority (RTA here) and get the details changed.

This may or may not help seeing as you're in SA though. Your best bet is to probably ring regency or whoever over there and ask them.

billswis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Is it possible to contact holdens for a vin check, or know of any free searchs?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Just call up Service SA, Regency.. Ezyreg.. < one of them and tell them you've done an engine change and ask them what's required to get it sorted out.
I can't recall how my parents did it, but you have to fill out a form and give details about your car.. and it'll ask you for the engine number. then if its all good.. they'll give you a reciept saying it's been modified etc.. and then you can rego it..
I don't remember needing a mechanic to verify it, only needing to call the mechanics for the engine number..
But, I could be totally wrong. Call Service SA and they can sort you out.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In reply to your PM, I can only speak for NSW, but as far as I know over here all you have to do is get the new engine number verified by a mechanic via a blue slip (assuming same engine type, nothing changed etc), then take the blue slip and proof of ownership of the new engine (receipt or whatever) to the traffic authority (RTA here) and get the details changed.

This may or may not help seeing as you're in SA though. Your best bet is to probably ring regency or whoever over there and ask them.

It's the same in WA, you need to have the car inspected and have proof of purchase or a stat dec to state where it came from for the new engine. Dept of Trans over here need to know the engine isn't stolen. The the car's registration details are updated with the new engine number.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Ya worried about nothing unless the engine is wrong for your car or stolen they will just change the number when ya do put rego on it when I lived in Adelaide my hq ute was regoed in my name in vic when I changed it to sa the chassi number dident match I had to get a new number stamped into the chassi they charged me about 30 bucks for the number then on my rego papers they dident even record the new number lol.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hello i recently bought a s-pac 89 vn, it has a 5 speed..

I tried to rego the car but was not the orignal engine, the vin is 6H8VNK19HKL329634.
Is there anyway to find original engine number?
Help please!!

Engine number should be around VH103XXXX to be a March 89 build car