Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VK Berlina Wagon

drippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack & VP ute
ok i thought i would make a thread for my vk, since it is blowing a gail outside and i cant really work on it atm

i picked up this VK for a whole whopping $250 bucks!
here is how it started
IMG_0128.jpg

then i decided that i was going to put a V6 into the old girl as it looked to be a farly simple conversion and cheap. so i jumped on good old ebay looking for a VN/VP then i found a VN wagon going fairly cheap so a placed a max bid of $510 and ended up winning it for $501, so at this point i had a running motor and manual gearbox from the wagon.
i got into that old girl to get the good bit out.. that vn had seen better days..
i removed the motor while checking everything over it was missing 2 exhaust bolts, 2 welsh plugs were holy, i removed handfuls of radiator stop leak out from behind the welsh plugs.. and the oil was a thick sludge!
at this point i was thinking how the hell did i manage to drive it back from Melbourne to geelong without something going wrong!
So down to repco to get supplies to get the motor up to scratch
P1010495.jpg

so then began the fun bit! taking the old boat anchor out.
P1010488.jpg

P1010492.jpg

once out i cleaned out 26 years of grim build up from those hard to reach places i started to put the V6 Kframe into her and the suspension.
once in, i put the V6 into the bay, i didnt get any photos of the k frame in 
i then had a battle to get the manual transmission in as it just did not want to go back onto the motor  but i got there in the end!
So this is how it stands as of today
P1010502.jpg

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
It will go alright once finished, looks like a tidy old wagon for $250, cant complain with that. Any interior pics?

drippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack & VP ute
Tonight I got some more photos of the interior as well
P1010518.jpg

P1010519.jpg

P1010522.jpg

And also I added this while the motor was out... just incase I decide to have some fun in future!
P1010523.jpg

I also put the gearbox mount in last night, the mount turned out alright
P1010516.jpg

I also received in the main my VL intermediate shaft I got off eBay :D so tomorrow I will be putting my steering wheel back on :D

drippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack & VP ute
Oh the joys of wiring...
P1010531.jpg

slowly getting there, wire by wire im working out whats goto go where
this is the worst part imo, but shall be great to hear it start for the first time!

ill be painting the engine bay once i have it all running as i really didnt wanna do it prior then risk scratching or needing to drill holes for wiring or brackets.
steam clean will bring up the interior a treat

i have another set of struts which have the larger VP brakes on them but they had the ABS sensors in the hub, would it be worthwhile swapping the struts over so i didnt have to get new rotors or should i just bit the bullet when i fit them and get new rotors for the non ABS hub? the vp ones still have plenty of life in them that is all

Last edited: