Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VN Lexcen is gone

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Patrol???

now get rid of the paj and buy a patrol :D

In the price range of the Paj no Patrol is very capable off road. Maybe an old G60 but they are shocking on the road.
A lot of money has to spent on the pre-coil spring Patrols to get them to be good off road.
I'm happy enough with the Paj as it is more capable than many realise (once lifted, mine has 50mm extra) but they lack power. Well they have 12kW less, at 78kW, than the MQ 2.8 litre and weigh considerably less.

I'll just drive in the bush, mud and sand and sit next to Patrols whilst we wait for Lada Nivas, Suzuki Sierras or Rangies to pull us out. :yeah:

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
WooHoo, go the paj :thumbsup:
They are way underated... None of my mates in cruisers, luxes etc can keep up with mine.
Is your a 3.0l with coil springs?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
No

WooHoo, go the paj :thumbsup:
They are way underated... None of my mates in cruisers, luxes etc can keep up with mine.
Is your a 3.0l with coil springs?

No I have the "Crawler Spec" 2.6 litre, which though underpowered is geared very well.
Went for a drive along with my brother and his Petrol 86 LWB Cruiser. I'm glad to say the Paj went through or over eveything including two obstacles my brother had to go around. He was trying to show me up but we were both surprised how competent the Pajero was in mud, sand and very eroded trails.
I'm happy for now.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is $3000

Pretty sure it's the same Australia wide. $2000 rebate for a conversion, $1000 rebate for a new car with factory fitted gas.

WA only = $2000 federal rebate + $1000 state rebate.
If you do buy a new car that fits the criteria for factory gas you still only get a $3000 rebate.
Gas Power Australia is currently offering "free conversions" in that they price the conversion at $3000, you take a loan for $3000, pay for the conversion and then wait for the rebate of $3000. You may of course incur a set up fee and have to make the first payment before your rebate is received. Given interest charges the worst case scenario is it will cost you $100 - $300 out of your own pocket.
What is underhanded or cheeky by the installers is that prior to the State Government implementing the original $1000 rebate the average price to convert a Falcon was $1300. Immediately following the rebate the price jumped to $1900. With the $2000 rebate prices had risen to $2500 average and jumped to $3000 - $3500 when implemented.
Interesting!

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
Is your 50mm lift spring or body?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lift

Is your 50mm lift spring or body?

I have a receipt that states "50mm suspension lift kit plus fitting" in 1991 for $650 that's it.
I actually compared it to another Pajero today and it was only a little different if at all. Body wise it is attached to the chassis as it would have left the factory. I cannot tell if the rear leaf springs are any different from the original as nothing stands out as out of the ordinary, likewise with the front end. The actual shockies are/were bright yellow and a receipt from 2004 states "Gas Magnum Shockers 2 pairs $458.00".

If it was lifted it doesn't really appear to be now. It made me check all the numbers but it is the same car it was when it left the factory with matching numbers.

Maybe it was lowered again to get the sports car handling back :D .

Oh well, it still gets through a lot of heavy situations.

What I have noticed is that it appears lower at the front but has very good wheel travel compared to the rear end. Restrictions of leaf springs I suppose.

I'm still happy.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
im not going to argue, but just make a point that there are MQ and MK patrols very cheap, it does not go from G60 to GQ lol.

got any pics of the new girl?
what year? etc..

EDIT: a lift kit put in in 1991 will have sagged as per expected so thats probably why it sits low again. wouldnt hurt to go 2 inch spring and 2 inch body. :)

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Photo

im not going to argue, but just make a point that there are MQ and MK patrols very cheap, it does not go from G60 to GQ lol.

got any pics of the new girl?
what year? etc..

EDIT: a lift kit put in in 1991 will have sagged as per expected so thats probably why it sits low again. wouldnt hurt to go 2 inch spring and 2 inch body. :)

I'll take a photo tomorrow. 1986 NC Wagon (Low roof).

Yes 91 is a long time ago, I will be considering a lift with new suspension if the money is there in the next few months.
No arguments from me, I was thinking MQ Patrols, SWBs aren't bad offroad but the LWBs are dismal without money spent on them. They drive a lot better than Landcruisers and use a lot less fuel though.
No the G60 was a tractor, the MQ was a truck and the GQ was like a smooth riding truck with good wheel travel :D . MK?, What year were they released?

Also today at the shopping centre someone was kind enough to replace the screws after removing my mirrors. They actually left the base of the drivers mirror or they may have replaced it with the remains of their mirror.:ranting: