Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VP Calais V8

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
thought the vp calais only came in cardinal red and solar silver. my paint code was 2f020... yours must have been the first of the vr colors. im guessing yours is early 93?

oh and btw ive sprayed the motorspray brand clear, you might not like the gloss level it produces.... but i guess anything is better than what it is now...

emilyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0L
Yeah it's 93. I don't think it's a VR colour though. Empire red and jackaranda (or something like that) silver. And only the primer is the motorspray brand. I have nomix for my paint. The guy I got it from said it was a decent brand and he has painted with it a few times and it's turned out good. But yeah, I don't expect it to be the best paint job ever. Anything is better than peeled paint and a faded blue bonnet and bumper :) Though I think the painting may be delayed a bit, as a tree fell on our shed yesterday and completely destroyed it... Was only a small shed but we had to move everything out and put it in the shed we were clearing to paint my car... So while the new shed is being built can't do much.

emilyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0L
Thought I would update this thread a bit, been heaps busy in the past few months so haven't done a lot. I got my moon discs and port-o-walls. I don't care what people say I like them and they will look good! Since that I haven't done much to it until last week when finally we started preparing it for painting. Remember we are new at painting so any tips you have are awesome :) Car was all sanded, then we masked off the windows etc with newspaper then someone said newspapers no good so we are going to put plastic up instead. Had a go at priming. But need to re do one side as there was not enough thinners in it... Starting with painting the sides and roof first, then painting the bonnet and boot off the car. Then the bumpers... Then start on the silver down the bottom, bumpers then lips.. Here's some pics: (The rust hole is on my OLD boot. We hit it with the sander and it flew apart haha)
8045_3974703680280_2125785855_n.jpg

20120924_1541101_zps347c7602.jpg

20120924_164739_zps1beef259.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
The VP calais might just pull off the flappers and moon discs, as they look very similar to a VQ, they look great with flappers.

Where did you get the moon discs from?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
backyard boogie :dance:

also thats a weird spot for a rust hole... (bootlid) someone had slammed a chain into my bootlid before i bought the car. pick ur arse had them on special one week for $20, dent free clean as a whistle. i was all over that ****...

emilyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0L
So I thought I would update my thread..
Didn't get to finish painting as we moved to Adelaide in a rush. Hopefully it will be done sometime during the year. It was actually painted (the bonnet, boot, sides and front bumper) but the clear came out too dry so it needs to be re done again a bit better.

So whats new with my car? I put a new 2 1/2 inch exhaust on. Sounds pretty good. Getting a twin dump tip eventually..

I changed my voltage regulator a few months back and found out that it was faulty after an 8 month old battery exploded in my engine bay. Nice.. So now I think i'll just get another alternator to be on the safe side and another voltage reg.

Also put new plugs and leads in the other day.. Still a misfire dammit ):

So anyway here is a current pic of my car:

20130313_122405_zps761aef8d.jpg

And now the moon discs are on :)

20130319_111633_zps8f784f62.jpg

83b1ffcb-c660-48f4-ba6e-e12ac687b9db_zpse5331e83.jpg

Last edited:

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Gotta put your clear on a bit heavier! or reduce it more so it comes out your gun easier. Your tail light look great, where did you get them? Overall nice looking calais just have to get her looking a little more shiny!

emilyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0L
Gotta put your clear on a bit heavier! or reduce it more so it comes out your gun easier. Your tail light look great, where did you get them? Overall nice looking calais just have to get her looking a little more shiny!

Yeah, I posted a thread about getting someone to re-paint it for me. So it'll be shinier. And I got the lights from Top Spot. But they sell them also on Ebay too.