Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VP "Toolbox"

badegg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Hello all,

First time poster (and first time commodore owner too) so hopefully I get this right!

I just got my VP Exec Wagon for a bargain (cost of the unreg permit) through a friend of a friend, bought it unsighted and got a few little things to sort out for roady nothing major really its in pretty good condition so quite happy with my acquisition so far!
It's mainly going to be towing my trailer around for work so don't think it'll ever be getting a v8 or pearl paint job, but I plan on tidying/personalising little things as I go along...

Its a 6 seater but the 6th seat has been removed, V6 dual fuel, super sporty column shift auto, it has a set of 16" ROH Turismo mags. No idea what suspension is in it but it seems a little lower and firmer than standard and its had polyurethane strut tops put in (haven't had a chance to have a good look at it all)

It also came with a sports steering wheel, but I've taken this off for roady...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 465
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 424
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 756
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 407

badegg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Thought I'd add a little list of planned mods:

Interior:
At the moment it has the crappy brown trim, so one day i plan to spray this grey or dark grey.
Calais drivers side glovebox.
Custom made centre console to fit my work diary, drinks, etc.
Level 2 Dash - not entirely sure if to go this or L3... if i go L2 im thinking of making up a bank of LEDs where the trip computer controls would normally go to wire up as a gauge for the LPG...
In the Boot i'm going to make up a mdf box/shelf to go around the gas tank for tools, etc. and to move the speakers from the tailgate out of harms way

Exterior:
the main thing i want to do outside is factory fog lights and skirt on the front bar, calais grille and the spoiler on the back... nothing too fancy
Clear repeator lights - but not the plain old round style, wouldnt mind something squared off to suit the shape of the car.
rear tail lights: not sure what i want to do here... not a fan of the altezza lights, wondering if maybe some chrome or white pinstriping on the standard ones like the sedans have... want something a little different but not too over the top

engine bay: basically just a clean and tidy it up

thats kinda it on my list at the moment, but im sure it'll change a few times as i go along...

any thoughts are welcome

badegg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Thanks mate, considering I paid nothing for it I couldn't be happier was expecting it to be a huge mess, it's had a hmgem reco motor put in about 6 years ago according to the book, and as far as I can tell so far only thing to worry about in the bay is slight leak from rocker covers (who would of thought that could happen) and needs new harmonic balancer (parts of it are sitting on rh strut top) to be completely honest I was quite shocked at how well the car has been looked after when I picked it up, makes It a little easier to get her registered on my shoestring budget. I've never been into commodores but really looking forward to getting her out there!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't knock the column shift, they are quite rare these days (personally my fav style of auto).....I must be getting old as half the kids/teens I talk to these days have never even heard a column shift.

If its going to be towing a lot for work make sure you fit an external transmission cooler if u want the trans to last more than a month.

badegg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Don't knock the column shift, they are quite rare these days (personally my fav style of auto).....I must be getting old as half the kids/teens I talk to these days have never even heard a column shift.

If its going to be towing a lot for work make sure you fit an external transmission cooler if u want the trans to last more than a month.

Nah nothing wrong with column shift, this would be my 3rd one, many moons ago I even had a work van with column shift manual- pile of rust but loved it!
Plus as a bonus it gives me plenty of room to make a decent console up (just gotta find out if I need to put a bench in for rwc first)

I actually checked for an ext cooler just this weekend to see if i needed to add it to the shopping list and its already got one, bloody nice sized one too! Glad the original owner obviously cared about the car and did things properly.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive only seen a column shift on one vn, and it was on its way to the auctions (front smash)... never even seen one at the wreckers. i like the center console arrangement on yours, way more spacious. i dont often see column shift cars in australia. it reminds me more of back home in the states, pretty much all of the american makers use it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
it reminds me more of back home in the states, pretty much all of the american makers use it.

It really is a shame that more domestic cars don't have column shift.

Although I do make sure whatever I drive/rent whenever I am in the states is a column auto (usually pickups), just for nostalgia

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
i've got a vr wagon 6 seater column shift on dual fuel i'm considering what to do with, they are around but not common at all.

badegg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Purchased a new head unit this weekend, nothing wrong with the old one it just didn't have an aux input...

Got a el-cheapo JVC KD-X40 from JB Hifi for $88 - nothing too flash, but plenty powerful enough to make musical noises appear from the speakers. I've always gone for Sony, and the only reason I went this is for the ability to plug in the bluetooth adaptor later on if I so wish...

I have only test fitted it so far, next weekend I'll tidy up the wires before I connect it properly (whoever installed the last unit has a thing for twisties and tape, and made a bloody mess of it)

I've cut out the lighter socket and relocated the gas gauge/switch in its place while its all apart - shall have dual outlets mounted on my console once ive made it.

That's all for now I suppose...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 380