Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my VR Berlina

jman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
IMG_20120514_114715.jpgIMG_20120514_114728.jpgIMG_20120514_114744.jpgIMG_20120514_115209.jpgHey everyone,
i just joined and wanted to share my VR Berlina V6 with 66,000km on the clock.. i purchased from my brother around 18 months ago with 28,000km and he got it off an old granny a year earlier with 25,000km. i needed a car at the time and i couldnt walk past a ridiculously low km car like this. i had wished it was a VS with a 304 manual but iv grown to love this car :)

details are:

Name: John

Model: VR Berlina.

Colour: grey

Body kit: Standard Berlina.

Engine: 3.8L V6 Buick

Exhaust: stock

Intake: CAI from supercharged model

Gearbox: stock 4 speed auto

Diff: solid axle

Brakes: stock

Suspension: stock

Rims: stock

Interior: stock with no hood lining :p (anyone know where i can buy a new one?)

Stereo: stock eurovox with AUX in

Other Mods:

Future Mods:
remove bellmouth
upgrade CAI
shocks
springs
finding optional upgrades

Possible Upgrades:
3-2-1 Extractors
2.5" exhaust with a cat off a v8
shift kit
diff with higher ratios and an LSD
brake upgrade
Memcal

so far iv flushed and replaced all fluids, the belt plugs and leads etc, iv tinted the windows and chucked the air intake off the supercharged model. the fuel economy is awesome! best kms iv gotten driving in sydney is 500km from 50L and highway is 790km from 50L but generally ill get around 530km from 55L with PWR on, am i alone here or is this normal? i also like the stock Blaupunkt system :)

im having trouble starting her when shes cold.. have to give it 3 burst of 10 second cranking also the top vents of the climate control stop blowing air when im at 2500 RPM

ill take some photos tomorrow and post them up.

Last edited:

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Wow, what a score! and we all wish we had a v8 under the hood.
Vr's are nice cars and berlinas even better. What kind of interior did the berlinas have?

You get average fuel consumption.. on the highway thats great if its true o_O thats like 6l /100km

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
bout the same as me. my VR gets 6.3L on the highway, used to be around 7L and after I got my exhaust done it got better aha. if you get a system done I'd suggest twin high flo cats over a 3inch V8 cat, just a personal opinion though.
sounds like a great pick up mate

jman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Wow mate, definatly get some photos up ASAP! I'm keen to see how clean she is

shes fairly neat but she does have all the usual dings and lite scratches that can be expected for a car her age.

Wow, what a score! and we all wish we had a v8 under the hood.
Vr's are nice cars and berlinas even better. What kind of interior did the berlinas have?

You get average fuel consumption.. on the highway thats great if its true o_O thats like 6l /100km

haha yeah, it looks the same as base model to me except for climate control and trip computer.. it doesnt have airbags, IRS or ABS options which im not too worried about

bout the same as me. my VR gets 6.3L on the highway, used to be around 7L and after I got my exhaust done it got better aha. if you get a system done I'd suggest twin high flo cats over a 3inch V8 cat, just a personal opinion though.
sounds like a great pick up mate

thanks mate ill keep that in mind

azza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim s2
neat berlina mate, great economy too.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice pickup mate.
Looks good

jman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hey guys,
In a couple of weeks my brother/ boss is going overseas and leaving me to house sit and use the company ute.. This is great news as it means I have 4 full weeks to work on the berlina in a garage with a compressor and all the tools I'll need :)

So first up:
Boag shocks
King springs ( lows or super lows any opinions? Or any better brands for comparable price?)
$650 total with bump stops from wholesale suspension

Also need an adjustable panhard road ( are they all the same? )

Purchased some $30 front swaybar linkages off eBay

Shut tops are like new so I'll leave them for now.

Front brakes need doing so I might get aftermarket rotors and bendix pads if there is not enough meat to machine them (any ideas? I can have a heavy brake foot in traffic plus I carry a lot of tools)

Have a feeling the radiator is blocked so I'll pull it out and have it cleaned, if it's unsalable I may get a manual one and use an aftermarket oil cooler for the gearbox.

Also might service the box and drop diff oil.

Need to get new bump protectors for the doors and I might get a front and rear bar and wing off another model.

Thinking of buying second hand extractors and a mace memcal.

Think that's about it for now, if you have any suggestions or usefull information I would love to hear it :)