Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VR V6 Turbo Brolina

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
Really should have gotten onto this earlier, Anyhow. I've owned the car for a tad over 2 year's now, Brought it off my mum in stock form for $1600. Since then its had a fair few changes, some been.

*Lowered on Dobi super lows
*Noltec Adjustable pan-hard rod
*VT Clubsport 17's
*VS SS full skirts and seats
*VS Calais door trim
*After market steering wheel
*Full 3" exhaust

And probably a heap more other stuff!

Last year I scored a sc14 setup off trademe (New Zealand's ebay) for $400, and had a jam with that. Have no pictures of that setup but youtube video of it running in that state can be found here: YouTube - Holden Commodore VR V6 With SC14 Startup, idle and small revs

After playing around with a switched pulley at 2.5psi I was lucky enough to get a damn good offer on a 77mm fixed pulley, That along with new injectors, fuel pump, surge tank,new 3" exhaust, map sensor, and intercooler setup I was boosting along at 10psi.
4lhz5f.jpg

Talk about fun! But a incredibly useless power band. The ability to be able to spin the tyres so effortlessly was awesome, but the supercharger running out of puff so early really held it back, especially during it's first (and only!) drag meet.
YouTube - Masterton drags - VB V6 Turbo / VR V6 Supercharged
YouTube - Masterton drags - VB V6 Turbo / VR V6 Supercharged again
2 vid's of me and my brother going for it. Basically I was spinning up to much at the start, and by the time I got traction, the supercharger had started to die down. PB was a 14.5@95mph.

After the disappointing performance down the strip, I decided to sell the setup, and had my eye's on a turbo setup. Managed to cut even with the supercharger and stuck that money into buying a turbo, wastegate, and oil feed, oh and steam pipe for manifolds. Only ended up costing about $300 to go from the charger to the turbo!

So here it is now. Still a bit rough but tidying it up is very low on the priority scale. At the moment it's more just fixing up teething issues, and having fun while doing so at a tad over 10psi!

110hr84.jpg

2mrdvg4.jpg

28rvow.jpg

2a7ala9.jpg

15guhqh.jpg

Now, making of the manifolds and exhaust, fitting surge tank and fuel pump, **** close to everything has been done, or suggested by Delcowizzid. I'm very lucky to have such a mufti-talented person who lives so near by!

This car is still very much in a project stage, so i'll be posting updates frequently (hopefully!)

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
OMG you started a thread LOL about time

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Good looking car mate, although i think they are VT Clubsport wheels.

hsvanthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim 3.8ltr
thats heaps sweet whats it cost for some steam pipe manifolts + exhuast? how much effort and money do u think id be..:)

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
delcowizzid made them.

Manifolds:
$20 T3 flange
$12 per 2" flange (x4)
$20 cashie from engineers shop for the main log, 3 little logs (had to cut these down) and the log that goes to the wastegate
Flange that bolts onto head is just a old vn s1 manifold with the pipes cut off, so that was free.
and wastegate flange came with wastegate.

Exhaust:
$25 for a vband set (turbo to dump)
$40 for 2m of 3" exhaust pipe
$36 for the bend that goes over the diff
$16 per 90 degree bend. (we used about 4-5 of these I think)
$15 per 3" flange (4 of these)
$12 per 38mm flange for plumbing wastegate back into dump (we salvaged some old cruddy exhaust pipe bend for this.)
then just whatever muffler/s you want. even 2 resonator's seems to work out quite fine.

Thats all the prices I paid anyway, and all in NZD. Effort? I just had to make coffees on demand, and buy him food whenever he was hungry which is very seldom. If you're handy with a welder It didn't look like there was that much to it.

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
Muffler has been removed and replaced with a resonator. Only a tad bit quieter really. Thought I had lost power but it's just wheel spinning even easier than before! laying pushbike tyre marks everywhere I go :(

Need a lsd and some proper tyres!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
hehe yeah she does loose traction bloody easy

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
Not much new, on 3rd set of rear tires since making this thread, and these ones are almost gone also. Pretty much been giving it hell, and it's been holding up quite well. Need tunerman to sort out some rough idling when warm issues and other than that it's fine.

Main thing to do atm however is to sort out why my heater pop's fuses when i switch the car on. Using a tea-towel to 'demist' my windows has not been fun!

Noticed the other day when I popped a Tyre that it took a good 4 inches off of that black strip thing on my doors, slowly getting worse looking :|

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
So, done around 1500km since I got it tuned on the base tune. Holding up quite well considering how hard it's been treated. Got me some wheels off my brother, so nice not having ugly holden alloys :D

2hzof15.jpg

143mepv.jpg

Missing one centre cap (not showen) and weird offset due to multi-fit, but they shall do!

Next thing is to fit my stereo from the daily back into this, sell daily driver and reaplce with this.