Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vs SS Commodore 95 build

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
FINNNAAAALLLYYYY!!!!!! BACK DRIVING!!!!!!
So after 2 and a half months what started out as a new clutch and a Gearbox freshen up turned in to fixing the rear main seal, new Cam and new brake master cylinder and a bit of paint on the God damn drivers side engine bay.
So after removing the gearbox I started to notice tiny drips at the rear of the motor and I knew straight away what it was as the motor was tipped back letting all the oil sit right at the seal and eventually after a week or so it was a small patch sucked in to the concrete so I had the lovely job of removing the motor which was okay as a few things were already out of the way and I basically just had to disconnect everything and lift it out I labelled 90% of the plugs I removed so when it came back to reassembling I knew where it would go.
After removing the motor it was headed for the mechanics whom happened to be our neighbors father, while I was there we were having a yarn and he said was there any tappet noise when the motor was running I told him it did he said my cam would be knackered and now was the perfect time to replace it, he had some NOS Wade Cams he had bought before they closed he said its nothing crazy but it will be perfect for me(little more poky but not big enough to need a re-tune) so after a minute or two I said alright do it so he sent it off to check if it was what he thought it was (hes a Crow cam rep or something along those lines) After a few days I got the Motor back new Cam and all the bits that go with it most of the gaskets, new Rear main and he showed me a few parts that needed replacing also (Water pump, rotor button, Dizzy cap) replaced all those, cleaned it all down of the 20 years of gunk build up while it was still out and painted the sump.

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
While the motor was out it also showed another problem for me to fix my Master cylinder had a leak and it had eaten a lot of paint from the booster down to the the rail FML! after removing the booster, master cylinder and ABS module (all jobs I had always been afraid of doing but after I had done it the brake system is not that complicated) I had ALOT of masking and shitty hand rubbing to do in awkward spots but after a couple of days with me old boys help again there was fresh paint on, nothing special but at least it wasn't going to rust now plus most of that side you cant see/
That was about the last job before Reassembly after talking it over I decided the easiest way to put it back in was to drop the K frame and reassemble as much as possible on the ground that way the clutch and box would line up nicer and no struggle getting top bell housing bolts, then pick the body up as high as we could, slide the motor box under, drop the body then lift and secure it in. The hardest part was positioning it under the car and lifting the body that high was all really sketchy but we got it done. Silly me forgot that when you get it a certain height back in to plug the Hall effect sensor in was a prick to plug it in when its back in Grrrrr, I did manage to put most of it back together but a few plugs stumped me and just how the loom runs around the motor. Picked up a cheap alloy Radiator one bloke at dads work ordered it but it didn't fit his v6 so dropped that in but held on to my original one just in case. bleed all the brakes with an air compressor bleeder tool all fresh fluid, filled the box, power steering and motor then gave her a few turns with the coil off then put it back on and no problems fired straight away! ran the Cam in and have taken it for a couple short drives the synchros are definitely working now and feels very tight selecting gears is better but I feel they could go in smoother. only thing stopping me fully having it together is the way the shifter mounts to the box, its different to my original one and the new inner boot looks like it will stretch to get over it? waiting for the weekend to see it i can fix it so I can reassemble the interior and start cruising in this good weather!

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
TLDR Fixed clutch, replaced gearbox, fixed rear main, got new Cam,replaced Master cylinder, tidied the bay SUUPER excited for summer!!!
Photos to come everything's a bit messy at the moment.
PS F### hose clamps had 3 keep jumping a turn and not sealing hoses......

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
Couldn't help myself lol new member of the family in there as well Little Dakota

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
Thanks mate, been annoying me having everything apart and paying rego and its just sitting in pieces so I'm just that excited that its moving and its drive abillity is so much better now.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The good thing about NZ is you can put rego on hold for 3+ months. It's good for bigger projects and stops me rushing to get it back on the road. Plus saves dollars.
No transport issue when owning multiple vehicles too.

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
NZ sounds good here its just about how much money they can squeeze from you.
Just finished putting the Interior back together changed the AC unit out as 2 of the lights were blown and fit my inner boot, few things left to sort out inside like a rattle in the drivers door and the check strap pin creaks, rear drivers door lock is sticky and the passenger rear door handle plays up but one of the most annoying things is my dash lights wont stay on the full brightness it always stays dim so have to swap the fascia out as I've heard its like impossible to remove the light switch from it without breaking it. also sad news I lost another tab from my manual surround F###### why are they so fragile.....
After another drive today and giving that right pedal a good stomp I now know the steering needs aligning as the wheel shakes like Micheal J Fox at 100 but its all coming together and I'm pretty happy.