Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my VS SS commy v8

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
this is my first holden.
have owned a million fords,dont hate me...
have always wanted to see what the fuss was about so i swapped my hilux for this thing.

its done 300,000kms,still runs and handles great.
although i do admit im abit dissapointed by the power or lack of it.
maybe its just a heavy body to push around...

its got full kit on it although the boot spoiler isnt fitted yet...some muppet has moulded the bumpers and skirts into the guards right the way round the car,and high filled/smoothed/blended it with body filler,the paint is factory black but theres large patches of matt black over it which looks crude..
it needs full cut back and respray..

its got headers and a full 2 3/4" exhaust through it with no cat.
its not droney at all,its not very loud,but it does growl when you hammer it..

my plans for this will be just to respray it....
for now

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
man i love the sound of this thing when i floor it...drove it to our new place today towing a trailer,had to pin it up a hill and boy did it sound choice..

i wouldnt mind finding some more power from it, not sure where to start though..

chip?
cam?

any ideas?

jesse_lankey

what to put here?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 Ute
you could pull the motor out and refresh it, would make a huge difference and last you a lot longer

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
with a wash and a polish it mite cut threw the air a bit better...dont get caught without the cat on or you mite end up with an emissions test...CAI, k&n filter, 70mm throttle and a set of Yella Terra high lift roller rockers will give you a bit extra without handing over an arm a leg and a testicle...

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Best sounding motor in the world mate. Looks like it could do with a bit of to. Though. Like others said, firt port of call with any new car is some basic maintenance. Replace, dizzy cap, rotor button, plugs and leads, new oil, oil filter, fuel filter and a K&N or the like air filter just to bring it back to it's former glory. Then think about cam packages and a real time tune because things like bigger throttle bodies provide very little gain if any on a stock motor as the restriction is in the neck of the manifold anyway. Chips from reputable people like greenfoam are ok for a bog stocker but a real time tune will always be better avoid eBay chips.

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
the car is cleaner at the moment.those were the previous owners pics...

we dont have to have cats on our exhaust over here in nz..

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
i agree to a point GRPABT1...real time tunes can cost up to $1000 though so any mods you do shizzl do them all before you get it tuned unless your into wanting a power gain reading after every change for an article in a magazine then its just a waste of cash...plan what you want to do and leave the cam till last and get a custom one ground from say Crow Cams to suit all the changes then get it tuned...ps a world without cats lucky you guys lol...

Nvs-Vs-s

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s
Wow, that thing looks shocking with that kit/bonnet. Doesn't look too bad though

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
i think your side skirts are back to front... because usually the grey part follows onto the rear bar unlike yours.
on this pic it is the other way round. so i think the previous owner had to mould them on so they would stay there because there on wrong.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...8d1117798335-vy-bodykits-suit-vs-100_0066.jpg
search vx body kits on vs commodore in google, all the cars with the body kit have the side skirt the other way round. lol