Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VT Whistles!!

s1nge

Reaction score
I've had my VT for 4 years or more, and never had any problems with it until recently I've been hearing like a whistling noise coming from under the hood.... It sounds asif there is something touching the timing belts but i checked it all and theres nothing there..also i thought it could be the coolant, so i've replaced that yesterday making sure the engine wasnt overheating or anything.

The noise is noticable when you turn down the radio, you can tell when it stops because all you hear is the engine running, but when the noise starts its a high pitch ringing whistle, asif two metal objects are touching. I cant explain it any better.. anyone got any ideas as to what it could be???

Thanks!

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
not dw40 on belts
geeeze
i used soap when i had a squeek works well
replay belt 4 yrs old is prolly getting loose
they dont cost much

s1nge

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, WD40 is some sort of lubricant? So you recommend I try and use some lubricant first, if sound still persists, then replace the belt? Ok?

Also I've just noticed the noise is heard only when i accelerate, and when going down hill.

DND

Banned
Reaction score
Try some lubricant (WD40) or wax soap if it the belt the noise will stop
If the belt is cracked and crapy you might need a new on

wastedmoney

Reaction score
can i just ask, you have not played around with the air induction at all have you? a timing belt squeek or squeel should only persist for a short time after start up, once warm they stop squeeling!

good luck

s1nge

Reaction score
nah i havent mucked around with anything under the hood. All of a sudden it just randomly makes this noise. When the car is in idle after warm up, it doesnt make the noise, but in Drive mode when i accelerate u can hear it quite noticably. I think it might be coz i've been thrashin the car couple times reach like 5 - 6 rpm ... i hope my engine doesnt randomly blow up while im drivin to work or something..