Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VX Wagon just died

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
Hi Everyone, well as luck would have it I was on my way to my families place for xmas today ( they live 10 hours away ). I got about 50 kms down the road and all my dash lights came on, my air con stopped working and then all my dials stopped working. I pulled over on the side of the road and turned my car off and what do you know, it wouldn't turn over. I noticed that around the top of the battery had been leaking so i went and bought a new battery. The car started once it was changed but 30 minutes later ( about 2 kms from home ) the car did the same thing and is now dead as a door nauil. Being xmas eve I will have to wait until Monday before I can get any parts ( if im lucky ).

Do you think my alternator has crapped itself.

If so I can get one from a VT commodore I just sold for parts.

This is a real kick in the butt as my grandmother has breast cancer and it may be the last xmas i get to spend with her.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
First and foremost, sorry about your nan.

Was the dash battery/alternator light coming on at all?

This would indicate a failed voltage regulator or possibly entire alternator.
Regulator is a quick cheap job, 30 bucks off ebay, couple screws and clips on the back of the alternator. Done.

Being christmas.. You could ring around auto electricians for parts after boxing day but tomoro and boxing day, highly unlikely.

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
The battery light remained on once I put the new battery in, that's why I decided to turn around and drive home again.

When I lost all power to my dash i noticed the car surging a bit and it was in drive and dropped back to third.

I will see my mate who bought my old VT for parts to see if I can buy the alternator. He only wants the trannie out of it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like alternator and battery if it is leaking
you will need to throw a multimeter at it or use dash diagnostic to see voltage reading to confirm
but my guess is both to be confident

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I would say alternator. Pretty much exactly how mine went (minus battery).

Repco in nz carry alternators, you might be lucky on boxing day? What engine do you have? Much easier on the ecotec than the ls1

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
The battery light remained on once I put the new battery in, that's why I decided to turn around and drive home again.

When I lost all power to my dash i noticed the car surging a bit and it was in drive and dropped back to third.

I will see my mate who bought my old VT for parts to see if I can buy the alternator. He only wants the trannie out of it.

Yep. Your voltage regulator is gone. Quick fix. just read my previous post again.
Then search RE72 regulator on ebay.

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
I have replaced the battery and it went flat so I am going to get a new alternator boxing day morning. Repco will be open and they have one in stock. Thanks once again for your help, greatly appreciated.