Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
m abit annoyed they've removed the chrome from around the windows too.

I like many, HATE the chrome. I removed as much chrome as I could, bar the windows. Even the SS on the side got the junk pile treatment for it's 80'3 nostalgia font.

Most the higher model black out editions on luxury vehicles are chrome free, thankfully.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
im abit annoyed they've removed the chrome from around the windows too. i was growing to like the front black out pack, but that bit of chrome around the windows gave it the higher class model look, now at first glance, the bodies of an SV6 and Redline are the same....

oh and for those that mentioned choosing chrome would be a no-cost option, my dealer said they could only do it if they had the chrome in house (i.e.: taken off another car to fit the blackout) and said if i wanted coloured coded mirror caps to get a professional painter to do so..... good customer service on a $60+ spend...
And from what some others have said, the chrome around the windows is tricky to replace.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I'm really glad they're applying the blackout to the window trim because I hated it so much changing it to black was going to be the first thing I did

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Forg wrote .. I was going to say Redline:HSV would be a little like comparing Monaros of the same age where one's 253 and the other is 308 ... but the way electric vehicles are coming along, the infrastructure to easily/cheaply refuel a petrol vehicle may not exist when our VF's are 45 years old, and I think not being easily able to go for a drive whenever you want (without lots of planning) will affect values of old & interesting vehicles in future.

I don’t think VFs will get to be 45 years old. How many Kingswoods do you see on the road now ?
The average buyers buy the best deal that suits what they want it to do, and that in the majority is for urban use, no more long drives city to city in a couple of days, it’s cheaper to fly.
‘Connectivity’ and gadgets are getting to be more important than performance and driver satisfaction.
The market for collectable, enthusiast cars will get smaller as peoples generations age, and fossil fuels get rarer and expensive.
But I won’t be around to say ‘I told you so’ and ‘My Monaro is now worth a $1 million dollars on Twitter”.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
For many of us who prefer the black and wanted to change various bits, the standard blackout kit on an MY17 Redline sort of helps offset the increased 'market' price (vent, DRL, grilles x2 were >$800 option and the window trim >$500). Chrome on the Calais make sense but not on the sports models.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Chrome on the Calais make sense but not on the sports models.

I agree, I just feel a small touch of something helped differentiate it from a black series SV6 (yes I know there are other exterior differences) but the window chrome at least said this is a higher model as oppososed to matte plastic trim

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
The door mirror scalps are gloss black too on the SSVR. Dealer showed me the spec sheet for MY17. I'm a little dissapointed as I like the color coded mirror scalps and chrome trim around the doors. MY17 White manual sedan with black roof is what I ordered. Waiting game now...

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
I agree, I just feel a small touch of something helped differentiate it from a black series SV6 (yes I know there are other exterior differences) but the window chrome at least said this is a higher model as oppososed to matte plastic trim

Oh, my VFII SS has the black window trim. I see, it a base model thing. Guess that was lucky then.

I think that happened a lot for me on the redline.... hated the wheels, seats, ssV on the dash pad and without even fully realizing it, the window trim !

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
im abit annoyed they've removed the chrome from around the windows too. i was growing to like the front black out pack, but that bit of chrome around the windows gave it the higher class model look, now at first glance, the bodies of an SV6 and Redline are the same....

oh and for those that mentioned choosing chrome would be a no-cost option, my dealer said they could only do it if they had the chrome in house (i.e.: taken off another car to fit the blackout) and said if i wanted coloured coded mirror caps to get a professional painter to do so..... good customer service on a $60+ spend...

My dealer seems to think that chrome will be a no cost option although hasn't confirmed it.
There is also a pic of a my17 ssvr wagon in light my fire a few pages back in this thread which has the chrome.

I will be mighty disappointed if im stuck with black.
Even if it can be changed afterwards, there is something about pulling apart and putting back together a brand new car that just doesn't sit well with me.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
That much black really makes it look like a base model.