Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
If any of the 1500 people that were letting go were qualified and had the Engineering background that is required to work at Lang Lang, as well as being happy to move from SA/Melbourne, there's not a doubt in my mind that they would be part of the growing workforce there.

well 11 of them anyway

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
You guys see this? https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1610/mystery-holden-teased-on-social-media
"The image’s timing also suggests Holden is about to drop its first details of the Commodore-badged Insignia, the five-door, front-wheel-drive liftback that will turn traditional Holden Commodore values on their head, before its anticipated 2018 arrival."

In line with previous comments in this thread, it would make sense Holden have been holding back MY17 and limited edition info until after they announce/market the MY18 Commodore.

yeah it was pulled because the caption was incorrect “Are you ready for this?” and was suppose to read “Are you ready for this ****?” as you can see for yourself the second caption certainly captures the general feeling current owner have for the new 2018 Commodore.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Would you be happier if they didn't try selling a 2018 Commodore, but sold an Insignia instead?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Would you be happier if they didn't try selling a 2018 Commodore, but sold an Insignia instead?

i think it is a bit silly to try and link the new model with the old company so yeah call it the Insignia or any other name, and leave the Commodore to what it is, part of the Australian landscape.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
i think it is a bit silly to try and link the new model with the old company so yeah call it the Insignia or any other name, and leave the Commodore to what it is, part of the Australian landscape.

What if the exact same car was built in Australia, would that make it a Commodore?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What if the exact same car was built in Australia, would that make it a Commodore?
I'm actually with markalan1two, ie. to my mind it's not a Commodore.
I think I could accept it more easily if it were RWD & built elsewhere, I think I could accept it more easily if manufacturing had stayed here (because if that had happened it would have been a rebodied Insignia but built here).
But two Really Big Things that make it "not the same thing" makes me dislike the idea of badging it Commodore.

I'm not in the target-market for the new Commodore, but if I were, I think the Commodore badge would be a negative in terms of the decision over whether to buy it or a Camry or an Accord or a Liberty or a Mondeo or a Passat.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Huge marketing stuff up. The people who have traditionally bought Commodores will never buy it because it is not a real Commodore and the people who have never bought Commodores wont buy it because it is called a Commodore.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride

yes and if pigs could fly...........................

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
yes and if pigs could fly...........................

The reason that I asked is because this is the exact car that was going to be built in Australia as the next-gen Commodore, but unfortunately the business case didn't stack up and Holden ended up pulling out of manufacturing.

So in reality, this car was always destined to be a Commodore. Whether it fits your definition of a Commodore however is another story.