Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery of the leaking coolant...

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I had another look today, and it looks to be leaking from 2 points about 100mm apart that run across the car. That's from looking at the drip pattern on the ground. I've had problems with the evaporator tube before and had it fixed (again) about 6 months ago. I can't be sure, but I don't think it is coming from the evaporator. I'll check the repair link though - thanks for that.

There is two evaporator drain points by the way, and they probably are about 100mm apart. Is it dripping basically at the centre of the car, near the transmission etc?

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
There is two evaporator drain points by the way, and they probably are about 100mm apart. Is it dripping basically at the centre of the car, near the transmission etc?
Yes, I'd say it's definitely coming from under the dash/console area off centre but slightly on the passenger side. Sounds like that's the problem - a leaking heater box. At this stage I'm gonna keep on filling it up, not paying $1000 or going to pull apart myself.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You could also just block off the heater hoses where they enter the firewall. Summer is just about here and with climate change you may never need a heater again.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I would block the heater off at the waterpump you can but those rubber caps so you just get your heater hoses off and put the caps on. I would then phone around and ask if you made the heater core accessable what might be the price of repair prob save most of the money.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You need to do it at the firewall as the heater on/off vacuum operated tap also acts as a bypass to allow water to circulate thru the head until the thermostat has opened. You could put those rubber caps on the hose ends where they exit the heater tap but its not possible at the waterpump. Some people simply shove a sparkplug in the hose and tighten with a jubilee clip or bent the hose in two and tie off.

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Thanks for the tips. I just filled the coolant tank up again this morning and it took about 1 litre, but that's in about a week, so looks like it's getting worse. The car has climate control, so not sure if you block off the heater hoses will it cause problems?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That shouldn't matter.