Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

n/a ecotec mod ideas?

Tadgh

itsjustasix
Reaction score
Members Ride
blown VS executive SII, 5sp
i wouldnt be that sneaky friend that told you about the ss induction stuff would i tadgh

nah dunno what your talking about:whistling LOL

Tadgh

itsjustasix
Reaction score
Members Ride
blown VS executive SII, 5sp
Nah she is just a chip that sits in the ecu that holds your tune information, it's a simple matter of opening the ecu and taking the old one out and plugging the new one in. nothing extra required!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Forget the FIT mods, you don't have an L67 and all the non-sc mods are for VT onwards.

The Type S CAI won't fit (not easily at least) as it's designed for the VT+ engine bay which has it oriented the other way.

Get a good stainless steel 2.5" exhaust, it will give you a sweet sweet note and a bit more pickup. $600+ for stainless with tip

No need for a "hi-flow" air filter, just buy a new clean paper one these flow 99% as well and let through less junk, plus you don't need to clean them. $5 for a paper filter.

Skip the SS reductions CAI, the holden one for the supercharged VS is just as good and all the bits (including the modified bottom half) goes for $70 or so from holden spare parts.

Extractors you'll hear two things about, some say not worth it for NA but some say it is, however if you do plan to get it blown down the road then it's a must-have. varies depening on brand, budget $500 or so for something half decent.

Rockers are an excellent upgrade, improve power all through the range with no significant economy decrease, simply makes the engine run more efficiently. $800 for a set + install.

If you do go down this road, look at a custom tune. If you can get to a Kalmaker tuner this will get the best result (assuming a good tuner) as it uses the factory ecu and can utilise all the sensors etc to run it to the max. BCT have this on special for $600 but are in vic, local tuners may be more, budget $800 or so for a good tune. If you go aftermarket you'll have to get a piggyback installed which adds to the initial cost, but subsequent re-tunes would probably be cheaper.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sorry mattman, i have to disagree with you, just a matter of opinion i spose, so dont take it to heart. but i really do believe a better air filter is worth while when adding a CAI.
also a custom kal tune is overkill for the basic mods listed, a simple "swap and go" (as i like to call it) memcal tuned by someone good like dr bob is all you need, and its a fraction of the price.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Alot of things are down to personal preference, no offense taken :)

It's at the users discretion really, just keep in mind that in kal you'll be cleaning it alot. Definitely don't run it dry.

Kal/ECU swap again, preference :p but all are definitely viable. I didn't realise Bob could do gear for VS on.. thought he just did the EPROM style in the VN's and whatnot, nice to know :) I was thinking the only real options were piggyback+tune (paying for the piggyback as well) or kalmaker, in which case kalmaker is probably cheaper for a single tune but piggyback maybe cheaper if getting tunes done up all the time. Kal still does a better job than piggyback, by all reports.

Jesse-James

Jesse-James
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS seriesII commodore S
ok ok... the memcal thing is sounding the easiest for me, and i will get a new proper filter. i was told that its best to rip off the airbox and have the CAI directed at a pod filter.
basicly all i want is the nicest sounding set-up, not the most powerful.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
I didn't realise Bob could do gear for VS on.. thought he just did the EPROM style in the VN's and whatnot, nice to know :)

yup, rob does VS's, i used to have one of his memcals before i had my engine stroked. i gotta say it was by far the best thing i ever did performance wise, and the cheapest too.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Will have to keep that in mind if I ever do anything with the WH ;)

Jesse-James

Jesse-James
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS seriesII commodore S
how much would it cost? and what will it do for my car?... soz for being so quizical, but im trying to find out as much as i can about my commo, as i have always been into jap cars. but then i wised up and got the commodore over the supra.