Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

n/a vl to turbo

tmt23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
i have a n/a 5 speed vl which i want to out a turbo on.
i have a gt30/40 sitting in the garage, just wanted to know what i need to do to the engine to get full capacity from the turbo?

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
Don't bother doing anything to the engine it's a waste of money. I've converted my VL wagon 5 speed to a turbo. And it cops a flogging every day. If u look around on the net u will find a lot of people running 220+ rwkw on standard bottom ends and having great reliability. You can easily run upto 10 PSI and I will be safe. What every you do make sure u don't use a de-comp plate.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Don't bother doing anything to the engine it's a waste of money. I've converted my VL wagon 5 speed to a turbo. And it cops a flogging every day. If u look around on the net u will find a lot of people running 220+ rwkw on standard bottom ends and having great reliability. You can easily run upto 10 PSI and I will be safe. What every you do make sure u don't use a de-comp plate.

read what he asked.he asked what do you need to do to get full use of the 35/40 and 10psi wont cut it.pump in 18psi.good ecu.fuel system and tune

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
And then smash the engine to i guess wich defetes the guys question.pop it on 7psi and thrash away other wuse to make great power and to get the max from the 35/40 be prepared to upgrade everything!

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
yeh was in a 26/30 combo the other day with same turbo as above only running 10psi, really wasnt that much more of a punch compared to my t3 on 10psi, only difference was the it didnt run out of puff were as the t3 runs out of puff straight away. Ive been told the fun doesnt start with those turbos untill 15psi+

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
I havent driven mine under 15psi but i would imagine it wouldnt be to much chop

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
use the turbo if u wish and run it on 10psi with turbo ecu and injectors. as stated the 35/40 is a weapon when running higher boost levels therefore upgrading most engine components to handle it

Achievable with a good tune and head/block surface prep, good fuel system, good torque wrench and tightening sequence followed with arp head studs. i have heard some good numbers with a N/A bottom ends... but do ur study and ask a lot of questions.