Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Names Compulsory on the 2016 Census

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
To do that, they would need to get the connection logs from every ISP in Australia and match them up to the millions of IP addresses from the survey. Don't think they care about you THAT much!

Yeah... coz most people haven't heard about metadata retention....

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol no ****.

They are also saying that a DDoS attack is not an attack as "no data was obtained". The incompetence and handling of this is ASTOUNDING!

If it WAS a DDoS attack, then yes, that's an attack. The purpose is never to obtain anything.

However they say the volume started increasing as the evening drew nearer until it got so bad they shut it down at 7:30pm? Errrrrrrrrrr.............. NO ****! People were connecting to do the ####ing Census. Hahahahahahaha!

I only ask this question.. Overseas hackers.. how incompetent are the ABS IT team?

Census is to be completed by everyone IN Australia.

Why is the web server cluster/ firewall even parsing requests from overseas IP's in the first place?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Why is the web server cluster/ firewall even parsing requests from overseas IP's in the first place?

Great point!

But since people aren't required to fill it in on the night. And, well, they couldn't anyway. But can fill it in based on being at home on the night. So anyone heading overseas from now on, can still have the option to submit it online.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Great point!

But since people aren't required to fill it in on the night. And, well, they couldn't anyway. But can fill it in based on being at home on the night. So anyone heading overseas from now on, can still have the option to submit it online.

My question still stands..

On the night anyone with half a brain should have expected DDOS. First step in prevention plan should have been to ignore overseas IP packets on the 9th of August.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
My question still stands..

On the night anyone with half a brain should have expected DDOS. First step in prevention plan should have been to ignore overseas IP packets on the 9th of August.

True. But any primary school hacker would mask their location and quickly realise that had been done so simply mask it to be an Australian source. If this was an attack, and I still SERIOUSLY doubt it was, that would have prevented it for about a minute.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
True. But any primary school hacker would mask their location and quickly realise that had been done so simply mask it to be an Australian source. If this was an attack, and I still SERIOUSLY doubt it was, that would have prevented it for about a minute.

So then how do they know the hackers are overseas?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
So then how do they know the hackers are overseas?

Because it wasn't an attack or hack and they're badly covering up for incompetence. Or did you not get that from my previous posts?

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Because it wasn't an attack or hack and they're badly covering up for incompetence. Or did you not get that from my previous posts?

I have very little doubt they are incompetent. But I also believe that a target such as the 2016 Census is too big a target for hacktivists to ignore. So I also have little doubt that there were DDOS attacks, and I am sure they came from both inside and outside of Australia..

What I find hard to digest is the level of ignorance displayed by most of the Australian public, yourself a shining example, who know of the above mentioned incompetence but are still happy to eagerly hand over their details to such an organisation.

You might as well put a little ####ing bow on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
What I find hard to digest is the level of ignorance displayed by most of the Australian public, yourself a shining example, who know of the above mentioned incompetence but are still happy to eagerly hand over their details to such an organisation.

As I've said many times, the government already has my name, date of birth and my address, and a whole lot more information than that. The Census isn't anything new. The tinfoil hat brigade think it's some massive conspiracy which I suppose is not surprising and good for a laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.