Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nathans VS Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cammed v6

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore v6 Auto
hey mate nice looking car, like the vy ss wheels suit nicely.

vscalaishsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv enhanced vs calais
buy some MSD coil packs and leads :spot on:

vscalaishsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv enhanced vs calais
buy theses

IMAGINE-400.jpg

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I need to do some replying lol.

Thanks for the comments guys, I tend to agree the SS kit doesn't really suit it.

So I've been reading about VY/VZ suspension with it's adjustable camber/toe etc and have seen/heard of people putting the VY rear suspenion into a VT VX to solve camber issues, I think Stealthy has VY suspension in his VP as well. Anyone have more info on what's needed to do this conversion on a VS?

EDIT: after doing some reading it looks like the VY donor parts would have to include the driveshafts, hubs, and IRS cradle/setup and possibly the handbrake as well.
This could blow out my brake conversion a bit as well as if i'm fitting VY hubs then I will probably need VY rotors (not sure if they are the same as VT VX)

VY rear end can be done. Talk to Stealth, he'll have the info with his VP conversion. I'm not too familiar with the VY rear end conversion, so can't help you there.

Brakes are the same from VT-VY...hubs, calipers, booster, master, rotors....all the same. (Fairly sure that the VZ was the same as well (apart from a different Master Cylinder Reservoir)

So just checked a few things with my insurance company as my policy is about to runout (CGU, through a 3rd party) and found out I haven't been covered for the last 4-5 months (3rd party) Because "They don't insure vehicles 30mm lower than standard height"

I know it was my responsibility to check this and update them and should have done it earlier, thank god I drove same :)
So I'll be switching to AAMI very soon (may as well cancel my policy with CGU right now as i'm not covered at all), their price eats CGU alive and they cover everything as long as it's legal.

Check your insurance guys! Pain in the arse but you don't want to be paying off that aston martin you rear end...

CGU are the worst. When I was looking for insurance quotes, they asked me if my car had been modified...and I said, 'only lowered' suspension (all I had done at the time)...answer was "sorry we don't insure lowered cars" and hung up.

I pay $480 p.a for Third Party Fire and Theft from AAMI, agreed value of $7500...all my mods are listed.

Ok, so now I'm even more confused than I was before. I was under the impression my rear springs were Lovells Low. This can't be the case, they MUST be Lovells SuperLows. Bought some King SSL cos I wanted to drop the back down a bit more... and theyre about 10mm higher than my current springs..... WTF. lol

Also, I'm thinking my drivers side strut has gone, it sits about 5mm lower on the right hand front, than on the other side. Is this normal or is my suspension rooted. The other thing is that I don't actually know what springs are in the front either, I was told by the buyer they were SL... but now I'm having second thoughs, they could be SSL for all I know and hence the rear looking higher.

Took a look around underneath while the cars running and in drive to try and figure out the cause of this vibration, I reckon it's either one of two things

1. Harmonic Balancer - does shake around a bit
2. Exhaust mounts, the exhaust is really solid, doesn't have much give in it at all - this could be the problem.

Any thoughts? Advice much appreciated! Can post pics of the Front difference.

EDIT: maybe the springs are compressed? anyway of knowing?

Springs can be compressed, in terms of how they can be identified, depends on the degree of compression. If they were compressed a considerable amount...there might be stress marks in the outer binding. Otherwise, I wouldn't think there would be very obvious tell tale signs of spring compression.

Take it to a suspension shop and suss it out maybe?

Harmonic Balancers are a bitch lol. Luckily the previous owner replaced mine just before I bought it.
If your balancer moves or doesn't flow 100%, then it's out of balance and not doing it's job, possibly causing undue stress on the internals (crank, rods, bearings etc). So I'd be replacing that mate...they're not that expensive...$100, maybe an hours labor.

Vibration can also be from the exhaust...your rubber mounts can be cracked/shagged and transmit the exhaust pulses through the car....or you could have one mount missing which (like in my case) caused a distinct KNOCK when going over a bump...get that checked out as well.

as for the struts...most likely one is shagged...get that looked at as well...maybe invest in a new set of shocks (Monroe or KYB like I'm doing) to match the springs.

VYSS wheels are sold! Got a bloke picking them up tomorrow and stockies are going on my car for a while :cool:

Looking to buy some 18s or 19s with tyres in the next 2 weeks or so!

Good, never been a fan of VY SS rims that much...any ideas what your planning to go with?

What are you rolling on at the moment? Stock rims?

vscalaishsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv enhanced vs calais
koya wheels dont know how much

i dont like then wheels the proper hsv ones look way betta. but at the end of the day it your car and you do what looks good to you

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hama,

I PMed stealthy but he said he didn't know as he had it done by his diff mechanic.

Going to get a powerbond balancer from mace and get that put on soon, coil packs first though. After running the car on premium and cleaning the coil pack terminals the car is running heaps smoother and not vibrating as much, massive improvement but its still there.

Mate i think ill just stop stuffing around with second hand crap and get Jax to do it all, new springs lovells low front super low rear, shortened shocks, super pro bushes replace all the front end ones.

I'm on a similar policy with my car now (AAMI), except mine is market value or max 5k. Might check if i can pay higher premiums but up the value by a few grand.

As for the wheels the guys coming to pick them up tomorrow, will be on stockies until I get 18s or 19s.

Status
Not open for further replies.