Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice...Clunk Noise Coming from rear

James180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Hey guys,

Have a bit of a prob, I'll try and explain best i can.

First of all my car is a 2002 Commodore VX II SS, Automatic

hoping into the car and drivng short drives around town the car drives great, no unwanted noises etc but when i go for a long drive and things are nice and warm....i have a "clunk" noise emit from the rear of my car when i come to a complete stop or taking of from stand still.... there are no other noise throughout any other gear changes after accelerating or whilst maintaining a constant speed.

there are no vibrations, just the "clunk" noise

Like i said, short runs around town everything is fine.. no lag in the trans etc.. put ya foot down takes of great, steps out fine etc etc.. this noise only comes apparent after long runs..

Anyone have any idea as to what this could be? or has anyone had a similar prob??

Any input greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Can you feel the clunk through the floor?

You might be suprised but its very common. In most cases its either a loose spare wheel or a loose jack.

If you can feel the clunk through the floor it may just be diff backlash, nothing to worry about.

MY-TIN-SHED

OLD HOLDEN PARTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S UTE
Hey James I have Vu ute I too have had that clunking noise for a year now its been to queesland and adelaide twice and its still does it on long runs. I have had it checked by 3 mechanics still havent solved the annoying clunk. it does it in reverse to if it was a old holden I would of figured it was a unijoint clunk
I even changed the handbrake pads, it has me beat. any other comment apprieciated Cheers.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Handbrake assembly. I had the same issue with mine. It comes an goes but has been a little while now before I've heard it again.

Venom_SS

Aint' Nothin' but a Thang
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
I have the same problem with my VP SS (Manual) only when i take off from a stop.
i thought it may have been the diff??? so im buying a brand new 9" diff.

cinndaz044

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v8 sv exec 044
change the diff oil to a quality one and the clunk will dissapear there are several oils you can use to get rid of the clunk.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Yeah, it is common.

Happens in my vt alot, but mine usually happens when changing up or down a gear (not all the time)

happend in the vy ss too... that had to do with the diff, im guessing its the same in my vt

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
i have the exact same problem only when coming to a stop and going but only on freeway and stuff like that i just think its backlash

chris06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss ute
Hey guys,

Have a bit of a prob, I'll try and explain best i can.

First of all my car is a 2002 Commodore VX II SS, Automatic

hoping into the car and drivng short drives around town the car drives great, no unwanted noises etc but when i go for a long drive and things are nice and warm....i have a "clunk" noise emit from the rear of my car when i come to a complete stop or taking of from stand still.... there are no other noise throughout any other gear changes after accelerating or whilst maintaining a constant speed.

there are no vibrations, just the "clunk" noise

Like i said, short runs around town everything is fine.. no lag in the trans etc.. put ya foot down takes of great, steps out fine etc etc.. this noise only comes apparent after long runs..

Anyone have any idea as to what this could be? or has anyone had a similar prob??

Any input greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

Thanks.
Hey can u pls tell me if u ever fixed the clunk noise i have same problem and no one can fix it any help would be really great thanks

chris06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss ute
Hey James I have Vu ute I too have had that clunking noise for a year now its been to queesland and adelaide twice and its still does it on long runs. I have had it checked by 3 mechanics still havent solved the annoying clunk. it does it in reverse to if it was a old holden I would of figured it was a unijoint clunk
I even changed the handbrake pads, it has me beat. any other comment apprieciated Cheers.
Hi mate did you ever solve the clunking problem? Have same prob and am 4000 grand in the hole and still not fixed