Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice, is it safe disconnecting car battery during 2 months? [wagon commodore 2010]

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
Hi,

As I have a plan for visiting my family overseas soon, is it safe to disconnect my car battery perhaps for 2 months? I heard that disconnecting battery is safe, but other people said, disconnecting battery will damage to the system/ECU/engine system, will have possibility of some error, and some cars need to input the code (i don't know what code). I watch YouTube regarding this, but the same, there is pros and contrast opinion.

Last time when I leave my wagon commodore for 35 days, I didn't disconnect the car battery, and my friend forgot to switch on the engine. So, after my last travel the battery was flat and I purchased new battery for that.

So, this time I don't want to make a same mistake, then I would like to disconnect the battery during my travel. However I still in doubt. So, if anybody have same experience of disconnecting car battery for a long time like 2 months, please let me know? Or any suggestion /advice is really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi,

As I have a plan for visiting my family overseas soon, is it safe to disconnect my car battery perhaps for 2 months? I heard that disconnecting battery is safe, but other people said, disconnecting battery will damage to the system/ECU/engine system, and will have possibility or error. I watch YouTube regarding this, but the same, there is pros and contrast opinion.

Last time when I leave my wagon commodore for 35 days, I didn't disconnect the car battery, and my friend forgot to switch on the engine. So, after my last travel the battery was flat and I purchased new battery for that.

So, this time I don't want to make a same mistake, then I would like to disconnect the battery during my travel. However I still in doubt. So, if anybody have same experience of disconnecting car battery for a long time like 2 months, please let me know? Or any suggestion /advice is really appreciate it.

Thank you.
There might be a few errors when reconnecting the battery, but an OBD2 scanner should clear them.
Have the ignition key handy, as the alarm will go off when you reconnect the battery.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Does the VE have a ‘transport mode’? If so, it might something to consider? It’ll put the car on to a very low power use mode to minimise the drain on the battery.

But I can’t see any real issues with disconnecting the battery for an extended period.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Buy a 5 amp CTEK battery maintainer and let it charge for the 2 months and when you get back hop in and it will start up straight away. I use them on my motorbikes and don't ride much during winter anymore so sometimes they are on for 4 months and bikes start straight up no problems.

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
Thank you for the battery maintainer option. I just knew that. As I saw on the youtube, the battery maintainer must be plugged in to the electricity power point.
However, my rent accommodation does not have a garage for my car. So, I can only park my car on=street.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
However, my rent accommodation does not have a garage for my car. So, I can only park my car on=street.
In that case disconnect the battery and take it out the car completely and see if a mate or family member can keep it in a shed on a maintainer. The car will not care less about being disconnected even for 12 months.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Does battery world offer a battery storage service?

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
Thank you guys for all helpful responses. :)