Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice, is it safe disconnecting car battery during 2 months? [wagon commodore 2010]

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does the VE have a ‘transport mode’? If so, it might something to consider? It’ll put the car on to a very low power use mode to minimise the drain on the battery.

But I can’t see any real issues with disconnecting the battery for an extended period.
Late to the party but I believe VF 2014+ model year vehicles have the battery maintainer feature within their BCM while earlier VE vehicles don’t…

For the VF;

To enable/disable Transport Mode:
  1. Turn on the hazard flashers.
  2. Apply the brake pedal.
  3. Turn the ignition key to the Start position and hold for 15 seconds; continue to depress the brake pedal.
  4. Transport Mode ON (or Off) will display in the DIC when enabled (disabled).
Note: When in Transport Mode, the remote function will be inoperative. Since the Remote Keyless Entry will not allow remote unlocking of the vehicle when in transport mode, the vehicle will need to be unlocked with the mechanical key.

Also, I’ve read the driver’s express power window learn procedure may need to be performed after turning Transport Mode back on.

Some things like fuel consumption and average speed data may be lost when turning Transport mode ON.

It’s an easy thing to check whether a car has it or not…

In any case, Holdens own literature states a vehicle can be left unattended for up to 6 weeks before the battery needs to be checked and topped up. I assumes that means the vehicles systems are operating correctly and the car automatically goes into deep sleep/low power mode correctly.

So. Whether VE or VF, it should be fine battery wise being parked for 8 weeks.

But in this day and age, with commodores being pinched incessantly, I’d pop the boot, wait until the vehicle’s system has gone into low power mode (10-20 minutes) and then disconnect and remove the battery before locking the car up… why two fold.
  1. I‘d guess that waiting for the car to go into deep sleep/low power mode would help to reduce the risk of the system going nuts during the abrupt loss of power when removing the battery. Then one can connect battery to a maintainer to keep it nicely topped up…

2. Not having a battery in the car that’s parked in a public garage or street would make theft a little more cumbersome…

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I wouldn't risk leaving my car parked on the street for two months. That's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

True - unfortunately.

Thinking about it more, if on-street-parking is the only option, remove the battery and remove whatever else you can to stop the car from working. Removing all the fuses and relays could be worthwhile considering (but take some photos before doing so).

Unfortunately, it won’t stop someone banging in to it, or simply towing it away.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when we had the floods go thru my neighbor had an old car out the front with damage on it, i didnt see him for quite a while but seen the car was gone so thought he was getting it fixed, but turns out someone drove up with a flatbed truck and a fake towing name stuck on the door and just picked it up and took off, also found out the cops caught the guy was half a state away with about 50 cars in his lot, so just be careful nothing will stop ur vehicle being dragged up onto a flatbed

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Park it in a Secure Location,
Disconnect the Battery,
Remove the Battery,
Remove the Starter Relay and Engine Relay (Mark each one accordingly ie: S and E, and take a photo )
Lock the Car with a Key, (and make sure the other doors are locked)
Place the battery on a piece of Timber (not on the concrete)
Everything should be fine upon return.

When you do return
Place the Battery on a slow trickle charger over night,
Re-fit the Relays,
Refit the battery, "The Correct Way around" Positive towards the Front of the car,
Close the doors and boot,
Lock it and unlock it.
Start it and take it for a road test.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The OP had a friend that was surposed to start the car last time....What about leaving the car at the friends place

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The OP had a friend that was surposed to start the car last time....What about leaving the car at the friends place
Last time his friend (housemate?) CBF periodically starting the car. So on getting back the OP found he needed a new battery as his car wouldn’t star :oops:

Maybe he’s looking for a more reliable solution/friend :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Park it in a Secure Location,
Disconnect the Battery,
Remove the Battery,
Remove the Starter Relay and Engine Relay (Mark each one accordingly ie: S and E, and take a photo )
Lock the Car with a Key, (and make sure the other doors are locked)
Place the battery on a piece of Timber (not on the concrete)
Everything should be fine upon return.

When you do return
Place the Battery on a slow trickle charger over night,
Re-fit the Relays,
Refit the battery, "The Correct Way around" Positive towards the Front of the car,
Close the doors and boot,
Lock it and unlock it.
Start it and take it for a road test.
And always, always remember:
  1. when removing a battery, always disconnect the earth (black) lead 1st then disconnect the positive (red) lead 2nd.

2. when inserting battery, always connect the positive (red) lead 1st, then connect the negative (black) lead 2nd.
Doing such reduces any risk of shorts that could fry some modules…

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
Thank you again for all of thoughts, comments, and suggestions. It really open my mind to consider all possibilities.. :)