Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice on stereo!

Bek31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
Hi Guys!

im just looking for advice. I'm thinking of getting a sub (and amp) for my car and i dont want to spend that much. so i need ideas and opinions and stuff. (im so not articulate lol).

OK so i have a 95 VS Sedan. i have the stock splits in the front, and pioneer 6" 4 ways in the back (they sound good). i just want to add some bass to my stereo. I don't necessarily listen to dance. i love my metal, rock, alternative stuff. so that has to sound pretty decent. i know it would be better to go all out and get the good stuff, but i wanna get something simple and fairly cheap but still good! does anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Bek

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Before l got my whole system redone, l just ran my stock speakers (stock back AND front) and two 10" sony subs in the boot. This was a nice setup and it didn't set me back that much. I did find however that the rear 6"s were bottoming out but since you've replaced them l shouldn't see a problem with just buying a sub and amp.

You can get the pre-boxxed sony's and pioneer's for roughly $200, add an amp (cheap one you'll get away with a 800w avalanche from strathfield but it always pays to spend abit on the amp) which you can pick a sony one pretty cheap, l payed $350 for mine.
I'll take a photo of my setup so you want to know how a vs sub setup should be like.

<<EDIT>>
ALSO, this might all be pointless if you don't have a decent head unit, Thats another area where it pays to spend more on.
Another thing, l found the front speakers COULD actually take a high volume as they weren't bottoming out unlike the rear speakers, so if your looking for a cheap way out, u might not need to replace them!!

Though to get the whole system replaced isn't that expensive. I got a mate down at the local autoelectricians to install (they're a sony dealership) 6x9's in the back and 6"s in the front, all costing me $400. Albeit matesrates, it still wouldn't be that much more expensive to get it done.

Last edited:

Bek31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
thanks that would help coz i would prefer to do it all myself aswell. if you have any tips on install could you let me know aswell? thanks :)

I have a pioneer DEH-1450. just a bass model CD player. not expensive but its pretty ok. im pretty happy with the speakers inside the car atm.... just wanna add that extra bass!

Last edited:

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Well, if your thinking of doing it yourself, theres two options.

To start with (when l didn't know what the remote cable from my headunit was) l ran my amp of the boot light. I don't really recomend this but it works and, if you can strip cables, its safe. You'll need to either hook up the remote wire from the headunit (its the cable that connects from your headunit to the amp, it tells the amp to turn off basically) or everytime you get out of your car disconect the power from the amp as the amp can DRAMATICALLY drain your battery.

OR

You could buy an amp kit and hook up a fuse and proper power cable from the battery. The pack costs about $50. Depending on how confident you are with a drill, this is not an easy job as you need to run the powercable through the firewall. Down one side of your car to the boot, then make sure when you run the rca from the head unit (the sound cables) you don't run them down the same side as power can interfer with sound quality.

Basically l suggest getting ANY amp installed properly, but thats just me, l can't bear to drill anything in my car. Cost of an amp installation for me was $60.