Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] need advice

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
you'll be able to change the T/B to the older gen III with with cable but you have to change the wiring, (mine is getting changed next week) otherwise im sure u can port out your original if you don't want to

yeh with that cam ive seen a few ppl make around the 290rwkw figure for such a baby cam it can pull quite well

Wow that sounds like some good numbers, what lift is that 220/220 112 cam?

iv got a crow cam 218/224 114 cam at home to go in my vy ss, been told it wont pull much as its only .527" lift on exhaust and inlet and will need a small exhaust like tri-y's rather than 4-1's and twin 2.5" to pull more down low, so was going to rebuild my motor any way and put a bigger cam in.
And as was going to do some head work to go with was told this would be useless on a small cam like that as well.

seen results from same cam in the states with bigger valves and porting off the heads making good power though.

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
cheers guys,
sorry about the delayed responses but im on night shift.
so, Munz, why did you end up going to 3"? was it because of the cam? and have you got the full Di Filppo system, if not what have you got (mufflers etc)? as looking at 3.9s in the diff, heard thats a pretty 'all-round' way to go? undecided on the underdrive, you may have to sell me on that one a bit more, is it neeed with a cam install? i guess i just wanna keep the power flowing to the things that need it, i live in a pretty small town so the car will be doing a fair bit of stop/start driving, will i end up with flat battery etc?

thanks again for the help guys,
Yea it was because I upgraded the cam I went from a 2.5in difillipo to a 3in Manta/Custom system I had after the cats custom made at my local exhaust shop with a 3in sureflo merge pipe up to the manta systems hotdogs all the way to the dual rear muffler with stainless tips. Manta was awesome to deal with I told them what I wanted and they were more than happy to custom make from the hotdogs to the tips!

The underdriven balancer slows down your power robbing accessories eg altenator, pwr steer they have seen gains of up to 7rwkw with a balancer
and also as long as your altenator and battery are working you won't get a batt flattery
And as was going to do some head work to go with was told this would be useless on a small cam like that as well.

seen results from same cam in the states with bigger valves and porting off the heads making good power though.

Cpbait head work/increasing compression will always give more gains especially with aftermarket camshafts

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you got Auto or manual impuls1

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
that was with a .581 with standerd hsv headers, 2.5" catback and OTR

oh ok, a fair bit more lift than the one iv got here, still think ill put a bigger comp cam in with the bigger lift.

IMPULS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7
yeah Munz, it's an auto. i know... gonna need a stally. will a 3000 be alright to stay streetable?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
no stall needed with the 220/220 thats why I went for it

3000 would be nice for that cam if your gonna race it