Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help car wont start think it's shorting out

adrian123443

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Berlina
Long story short I have a VS berlina and when it rains water was leaking into the car so I decided to remove the carpet seeing as it went a bit mouldy and gross, in doing so I broke the electric window switches on the centre console so I've
taken them out and taped off all the wires so I can replace them later, Also taken out the Amplifier because I want to move it to the boot and taped off all the wires for that too, now when I try and start the car the starter motor sort of coughs
and then the battery flattens, I assume it's shorting out, at first I thought a bare wire was touching the floor where the carpet used to be but I've taped off everything I can see and unhooked the amp wiring from the battery, it only seems to
short out when actually trying to start the car and is perfectly fine when the key is on accessories, could it be the starter motor? any way to test it?

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
I'm pretty sure you need a new battery

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
how much of the power window wiring did you remove? because the inhibitor switch wiring is right next to the power window wiring.

adrian123443

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Berlina
Turns out the battery terminals weren't connected properly, I sanded the corrosion off them and tightened them up and it works perfectly