Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help changing green globes to blue globes in instrument cluster

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
I was thinking of changing all the sleeves/condoms on the globes from green to blue in my dash, however i heard there is a green film so whatever colour the sleeve is, it will always have a green tinge to it. So now I am looking for someone to help me do an LED conversion. Wouldnt have a clue on how to do it myself. $$$ in it for someone who knows what they are doing.

WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE THIS:

NOT LIKE THIS:

Need some help Guys. Cheers

Last edited:

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
Pm lightning vp... he lives in your area, he will be able to help. he says he is great with all these little globes.

Gav86

Reaction score
it'l never look like that using sleves, dont waste ur time, read the threads in the vt/x area,

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Their just a few cheap LED's off Ebay. Soldered into place of the old globes. Pain in the arse job. That's why i went to WRX884 to do the whole cluster for me:).

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Its really a waste of time man not only as uve found out the green film found in certain sections will make ur globes look poor and dull (not very well lite) but also even if u removed that the blue wouldnt look right if u think about it u have a yellow globe shining through a blue condom sleeve so ur gonna get a tinge of green through that neways. Then u got ur needles 2 worry bout not so much if u have white 1ns.

but if u still wanna do it u'll mainly use the 5mm sleeves mayb 3mm but urs is a berlina? so u shouldnt need them in urs.

theres a LED thread u should read it tells u pretty much everything u need 2 know if ur handy with a soldering iron and have some creative patients

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
Its really a waste of time man not only as uve found out the green film found in certain sections will make ur globes look poor and dull (not very well lite) but also even if u removed that the blue wouldnt look right if u think about it u have a yellow globe shining through a blue condom sleeve so ur gonna get a tinge of green through that neways. Then u got ur needles 2 worry bout not so much if u have white 1ns.

but if u still wanna do it u'll mainly use the 5mm sleeves mayb 3mm but urs is a berlina? so u shouldnt need them in urs.

theres a LED thread u should read it tells u pretty much everything u need 2 know if ur handy with a soldering iron and have some creative patients

Not handy at all with a soldering iron. Got no idea about that kind of stuff. 1998 VT Berlina 3 window.

If anyone wants to do a conversion job for me let me know. You name the price. Want it looking exaclty like the pic. red needles and warning lights but the rest blue. Also want the trip computer, climate control, head light switch, power windows and ignition barrel done in blue LED's.

Last edited:

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Just so you know mate..
The Aircon controls, headlight switch, and power windows are a bitch to do. More so the power windows. They're surface mounted LEDS so they're a little more difficult anyways.

The Trip computer is the easiest to do. The rest of the cluster is fairly easy also. Getting the needles and the red sections of the tacho to remain red (or whatever initial colour they are) requires a bit more work also. I never ended up getting the needles and red sections to do anything other than turn blue. I ended up converting back to white LEDs instead as the blue everywhere was a bit too much.

I'm never doing it again, and I'm not the best person for the job regardless. Hopefully you find someone that doesn't mind and has done the needles before also. Worry first and foremost about the cluster. Then worry about the rest.

Good luck.