Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help decyphering possible issue VE2 SV6

Goobie2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2011
Hi all,

Need some advice regarding issue recently experienced, I am not mechanically or electronically minded, I had access to a OBD2 mobile app and tool ( lite version of software only shows 7 most current codes at the time ) and I understand the actual symptoms but not what may be the overall cause.

Car was running as normal, turned right at a set of lights, felt a little shutter lasting maybe 2 seconds, then alarms starting going off constantly, white smoke pouring from exhaust ( rich fuel smell ), car immediately lost power with dash saying (power save on or something ), foot flat the floor produced about 15km per hr and car was a earthquake, stank of fuel. I made it to the destination 5 mins away 3 sets of red lights. Parked car, after 3 hours came back to parked car, tried to start, seems to hesitate starting, after a few tries, it turned over, alarms started again, car still shaking, unburnt fuel coming out of exhaust. Thats when I had a chance to scan OBD2 results below ( remember only top 7 were available on trial version of mobile software )

- P0300
- P0302
- P0304
- P0306

All these are misfires from either cyclinder 2 - 4 - 6

- P087 Fuelrail pressure low
- P089 Fuel pressure regulator performance

- P0154 Heated O2 Sensor ( Bank 2 ) No activity

So the misfires are cylinders not sparking or igniting fuel as normally expected

The next group is possible low fuel pressure due to failing regulator causing low pressure alarm in fuelrail

the last 1 is the oxygen sensor bank 2 no triggering as normal expected.

My question is, the misfires are all on the same side, I assume bank 2 , so could this mean cylinders 2 4 6 didnt fire causing no activity alarm for HO2S bank 2 but injectors still pumped fuel into engine causing a flooding situation, going from 6 cylinders to only 3, all on the same side

What i dont get is the low pressure fuel rail and fuel regulator performance ? what would be happening, if all these are triggered, low pressure fuel rail for instance shouldnt create a plume of unburnt fuel through the exhaust. Could this be a fault with the ECU or maybe the injectors for 2 4 6 are locked in open circuit or jammed/stuck

Car was towed to a mechanic, 24hrs after it all began, car was still exhibiting the same behavior, they did some tests etc, cleared codes and sent it to auto electrician. Unfortunately, after 4 or 5 days more sitting still ( I guess airing out ) and with no available fault codes to work with, electrician started car and it seems to be running fine now.

I am at a loss, but I dont want to take car home only for same thing to happen in a week and I am up for another towing fee, service charge etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful, recent repair history is 7 months ago timing chain replaced, 180,000km , 3 months ago had issue with P0304 cylinder 4 misfiring, mechanic swapped coil lead 4 with another coil lead to see if problem resurfaced on the new location, fuel filter replaced with brand new OEM filter and kit.

Yes P0304 history is there, now the entire side exhibiting same issue. I am guessing new coils maybe, I dont know, the other alarms may point to something else. I am hoping its not the ECU ( costly repair for sure )

I await anyones assistance, this is above my mechanically and electrical skills.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Disregard the O2 sensor at this stage, that could right itself when the miss firing it rectified.

Assuming its a LFX ?
What part of Australia you in ?

Just reading between the lines of your issues,
the common denominator is Bank 2
- P0302
- P0304
- P0306

I’d be checking all the plugs/connectors, Ground connection on Bank 2 (Passengers side)

How many k's has the car done ?
Any modifications ?
Any servicing/works of recent ?
Engine clean internally, not clagged up.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
After a recent issue I had,

The following you can do yourself,

Check the connectors/plugs & sockets,
Remove the the coils and check the,
Remove the plugs and check/clean them and re-gap them,
Remove the injectors and check them, possibly give them a blast with compressed air,
While you have it apart, check and clean the ground connectons.,
Give all the plugs/connectors a blast with contact cleaner.
Take your time to Re-assemble and make sure you plug everything back in.

Most importantly
“disconnect the negative battery terminal” before you start.
That’s best DTC reset.

Goobie2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2011
Disregard the O2 sensor at this stage, that could right itself when the miss firing it rectified.

Assuming its a LFX ?
What part of Australia you in ?

Just reading between the lines of your issues,
the common denominator is Bank 2
- P0302
- P0304
- P0306

I’d be checking all the plugs/connectors, Ground connection on Bank 2 (Passengers side)

How many k's has the car done ?
Any modifications ?
Any servicing/works of recent ?
Engine clean internally, not clagged up.
Just over 180,000kms, last major service was 8,000kms ago, next service at 190,000kms, in the last 6-9 months I had the timing chain replaced including all guides, grommets, springs etc as part of complete kits, injector clean, or fuel filter replacement.

No mods !!!

Minor build up of carbon deposits/sludge but that was cleaned out during major service almost 8000km ago, only run on unleaded 98 never corn fuel.

Once a month I take it for a few hours drive on freely 110km per hour 90 mins each way, normal city driving apart from that. Fuel never left standing for more than 12-18hrs without driving somewhere to do something.

Error P0300 and P0304 have been coming up sporadically prior to major service after that nothing till this incident. Mechanic swapped coils around to see if it would pop up in the new position, it didn't, instead here it was cylinder 2 4 6 all the same side, what would that point to

Thank for the quick reply

Goobie2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2011
Just over 180,000kms, last major service was 8,000kms ago, next service at 190,000kms, in the last 6-9 months I had the timing chain replaced including all guides, grommets, springs etc as part of complete kits, injector clean, or fuel filter replacement.

No mods !!!

Minor build up of carbon deposits/sludge but that was cleaned out during major service almost 8000km ago, only run on unleaded 98 never corn fuel.

Once a month I take it for a few hours drive on freely 110km per hour 90 mins each way, normal city driving apart from that. Fuel never left standing for more than 12-18hrs without driving somewhere to do something.

Error P0300 and P0304 have been coming up sporadically prior to major service after that nothing till this incident. Mechanic swapped coils around to see if it would pop up in the new position, it didn't, instead here it was cylinder 2 4 6 all the same side, what would that point to

Thank for the quick reply
Sorry missed one question Bankstown NSW 2190
car currently with auto electrician and he started it today andnseemsnyonbe running fine. Incident happened almost a week ago, mechanic did his checks, cleared codes, started cat again, problem still there, put it on a truck to electrician, car stood for about 3 or 4 days over weekend and when electrician started car, it seemed to have corrected itself, I am thinking due to errors, it was flooded and standing time allowed the fuel to evaporate, just a guess but he called me for codes I had, I could only see last 7 codes as the app I used was a trial thing. I have told the electrician so hopefully that help him with his diagnosis

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
mine used to do it turning first left when parked on a hot day, was rear abs loom issue, same symptons as you have

Reactions: Lex