Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP: Dull lowbeams and high beams

1CL3AN6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive 3.8L
Recently my low beams and high beams have dulled dramatically. Its like driving with my parkers on. And high beams are worse than what the low beams should be. Ive been over all fuses and relays and swapped em over etc. My battery is reading 12.7volts and headlights are recieving 12.7.
I recently wired in an led strip to cluster so that has to be it. I ran a power on a piggyback from the cluster power wire and my own earth to the body. I dont know how to tell but i think its robbing power. Or could it be something as simple as globes, and or fade on the headlights themselves?

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Check ALL your earth's...
Your test points might have been fine.. giving you a false assumption that everything is ok..
Headlight earth may be your problem..

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
If you connect a bulb directly to the headlight does it look bright enough or dull.

You can get a headlight wiring harness that connects a relay to your battery and also connects to your headlights. The signal wire for the relay plugs into the original headlight socket. You'll get a more stable voltage from the battery and the relay that cuts or connects that voltage to the headlight is controlled through the normal switch and wiring of car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did on another vehicle what VT&VX said and the diff was night and day. I made my own harness with relays using 6mm. I was able to run 100/130s no problem at all. I could have even run 110/160s but the globes become too expensive. Wouldn't recommend 130s on a VE though if you have stock lenses.