Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP! maybe be easy fix maybe not.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok i have a VY By Design and went to remove the tow bar today. sweet search on here to find out what to do, done.

go outside to start, take all the screws clips n trim off i need to remove the bar (after looking at about 15 different threads).

all went fine up until the point where they said "pull the bar off". it wont budge, i checked and checked the screws, no clips underneath, no screws ontop.

so what am i missing? i spent 30 mins trying to pull and twist and checking for other screws. there are 2 things that i think might be the problem.

1: the HBD rear bar piece has 2 extra screws somewhere that is holding it on in the middle of the bar. i took the spare tyre out and everything to find some more screws and nothing.

2: there is a **** load of liquid nails it looks like in the boot and doesnt look stock so maybe the people before me glued the bar on so it wont fall off (dont ask me why they would do that) but no matter how hard a pull and bend the bar it aint even moving.

here are some photo's for you to see what i mean.

one side all free
IMG_1105.jpg

top is free and can bend out
IMG_1106.jpg

other side free
IMG_1107.jpg

top with all screws out and all that liquid nails looking stuff (looks like there is some under car as well)
IMG_1108.jpg

the 2 bolts on each side out
IMG_1109.jpg

under car clips out
IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

please someone help me out if ive forgotten something or they can see something is wrong.

cheers

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
On a sedan there are a total of 4 nuts, 6 screws and 6 plastic thingys.

There are two nuts either side behind the carpet.
3 screws each wheel arch; 2 top and 1 underneith.
4 plastic things on top of the bar near the boot seal
2 plastic things under the bar near the fuel tank/tow bar bkt hole.

And if you have reverse sensors, watch out for the plug on the left below the tail light.

This was copied from another forum
The liquid nails stuff is a sort of sealer . I got it in my VX too

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
Yeah I took out all of them, that's what stumped me.

I am pulling it pretty bloody hard too, I was scared I was gonna break it and it still wouldn't budge.
Any other ideas?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
So long as you've removed all the clips/screws etc listed in Dayvo's post (which it looks like you have from your pics) then there is no other factory screws etc to be removed. With the bar in the position you have it now it should pretty much just fall off... Laying underneath the back of the car, can you try and look up behind the bar for something 'non-standard' that someone has added. Can you flex at least the top or the bottom of the bar out? Don't worry about all the sealer in the spare wheel well either, thats standard.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
yeah all the clips and screws are out (counted them).
i can pull the bar forward from the top and look down and see inside, nothing, can just see the inside of the bar to where the tow bar sticks out.
go underneath and look up, and because of the lip of the rear bar piece (the HBD bit) as you can see here:
IMG_1006.jpg

i cant really see much further up, but i can pull and wiggle the bar and it looks free all down the bottom but there must be some more screws for some reason about half way up thet go from inside the boot.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
There are clips around the tail-lights. You can just pull it off. Takes a bit of force, but just pops off.