Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help pinpointing engine bay noise

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6
So I recently picked up a VR off an old bloke and i'm having some issues with the car I would like to get sorted

Here is the problem sound I just noticed today after swapping out the fuel filter and degreasing under the car: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GGidzbyE59wnB3DKDRbH6tJ6VXyPmko3

So here is how it sounds normally(recorded after a drive later the same day) with presumably injector ticking and a wooden door slamming mid way: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pI_Rq_XdLCYLlZZk7zPkkZLUSF1diV6l

It runs pretty alright except that noise and about 17l/100km fuel economy, I just swapped leads and plugs and the fuel filter, so I am not sure if fuel is still an issue, but mainly i'm worried about the noise, ideas?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Economy should be closer to 11lph. You might need a new air filter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The noise is not that bad, compared to some noises I have heard coming from a VR. What are your thoughts? Normally the culprit is a knackered crank pulley. When the crank pulley goes it sounds like a rod has let go of the piston and it's slapping like a bastard. Your noise is not that loud.

Last edited:

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6

Attachments

• IMG_20180307_152621.jpg
    IMG_20180307_152621.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 97

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be wrong but the plugs don't look too bad. They're not fouled up with oil, needed replacing but I've seen a fair bit worse. A tad dark compared to mine but I run 95. That should improve now your replacing a few bits, inc the filter.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
noisy injector or a bearing. try running with out serpentine belt, if noise go's away spin each or the pulleys by hand and see which one is noisy or notchy..check the plugs are in tight and not leaking from the base..also exhaust manifold check for leaks... cold engine soapy water

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rocker cover gaskets probably need replacing, quite common to see them leaking. Is the steering pump leaking as they tend to put oil in various places when they leak.

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6
Alright here we go, stains on rack indicate its leaking but not losing any fluid, auto tranny is leaking from the transducer by the bolt looks like maybe the sump too but oil everywhere can't tell, power steering pump is a noisy thing and probably needs to go

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sumps often leak on VR's as will the crank seal but leave the latter for when the crank pulley needs replacing. Rocker covers are an easy fix just need a really short ext bar as the bolts are a bit tight for space. You're no doubt gonna degrease once you do you will see where the oil is coming from easier. If the pump is noisy then get a reco unless you know how to set the cam as they can be a bit tricky to get right. Given the age of the pump seals will be fairly hard.