Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help , rb30det in a vr berlina or in a r32 gts4?

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
hi all , my head is about to explode ,iv built an rb30det over the last year or so ,originally intended for an r32 gts4 skyline but then i changed my mind as the car was costing too much to get on the road to begin with, after lots of cash and frustration id had enough so i bought a vr berlina to put it in for something different , now im very confussed , one of them has to go but i dont know which heres what will be done to both once on the road.

vr berlina:

respray in original color , dark green
rb30 fitted with twincam head
t51r turbo
maybe sc14 supercharger to get it movin
4.11 full spool
statesman dash and caprice seats ,carpets and door cards (already fitted)
ve v6 brake upgrade
ve stockies or stato rims
fully manualised turbo 400 with transbrake

r32 gts4:

respray matte black
fit rb30
gt3540 turbo
already has coilovers ,hicas lock bar ,adjustable everything
starcorp tracer 2 rims (already fitted)
half cage
blue/black leather retrim
r33 gtr brake upgrade with dba rotors
very strong clutch

my dilemma is i could have either car at this state with the same amount of effort and although an rb30det vr would be cool the r32 would also be a cool car

further down the track nitrous and a spool 3.4 stroker kit will be added , hav the nos havnt got the stroker kit yet.

im just really confused and after peoples opinions

xxaussiepridexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Me personally I would just do the skyline with that running gear and leave the commodore with the 6 or 8. Those engines are great for the vl commodore but not for any others if u really wanted to do the commodore I'd just work the engine that sits in it and turbo or supercharge it u would be really surprised at how well they go,. And I do know that putting that engine in the commodore would be pretty cool but me being a Holden man could not justify putting a nissan engine back in the commy, do I'd stick with the skyline. Less work finishing the skyline off. Just my opinion

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
im only keeping 1 car either selling the skyline or skrapping the vr , opinion appreciated though

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
IMO, I'd get s good price for the skyline and motor and work the commi, it's cheaper to keep on the road in the end (insurance ect) and with a few grand would go well

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Me personally I would just do the skyline with that running gear and leave the commodore with the 6 or 8. Those engines are great for the vl commodore but not for any others if u really wanted to do the commodore I'd just work the engine that sits in it and turbo or supercharge it u would be really surprised at how well they go,. And I do know that putting that engine in the commodore would be pretty cool but me being a Holden man could not justify putting a nissan engine back in the commy, do I'd stick with the skyline. Less work finishing the skyline off. Just my opinion

agree with this
obviously you want a Nissan powered car.
So just stick with a Nissan car. The Nissan is going to have the engine you want (without going through the entire conversion headache and cost) and it's going to handle better than the Commodore as well.

If you want a V8, go the Commodore and if you want a turbo Nissan, go the Skyline

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so how did you plan to fit that front driveshaft? you know it goes through the sump, right? i am not 100% but i think you need to check that the sump off the 2ltr will fit the 3lt. i have my doubts.

so yeah, my opinion would be to buy a R31 skyline 4 door, put the RB30 into that and get rid of both the other cars.

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
so how did you plan to fit that front driveshaft? you know it goes through the sump, right? i am not 100% but i think you need to check that the sump off the 2ltr will fit the 3lt. i have my doubts.

so yeah, my opinion would be to buy a R31 skyline 4 door, put the RB30 into that and get rid of both the other cars.

you need an adaptor plate to run a 4wd sump on an rb30 ,which i have

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Throw that engine in the skyline then sell the skyline keep the berlina and rebuild the 3.8ltr then put a pro flow turbo kit on it or a vortex blower… Then go eat some skylines down at your local track :spot on: not a fan of skylines (except GTRs) although some can be nice but id much prefer a blown or turbo charged V6 commodore then a skyline anyday… Just my opinion.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
^ really? Eat skyline's at the local track in a V6 commodore?