Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with best way to install extractors

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
I've found a few other posts similar to my question but not sure which extractors they used. The car is a 2010 SSV Redline.

I am rebuilding the L77 with a DOD delete and VCM 5SC cam and I've settled on a set of Ultrex 1-3/4" extractors and 100 cell cats (although I just read these may not meet the requirements for admissions)

I have the heads out of the car as I am rebuilding them with dual valve springs and upgrading the trunnions. I will be installing the cam next weekend and then starting to assemble the engine and I have a question on the fitting of the extractors. The left side seems to be easy and wondering if I should fit these through the gap from above (see pics) before the heads go on and with them out of the way for when the head goes on. For the right side, I am stuck figuring out the best way to run them. Right now they don't fit from above between the steering column and the heatshield of the starter motor, and I would likely have to jack up the car more to get them in from below but seems I need to jack up a fair bit.

If I remove the bolt holding the steering knuckle to the rack, will the column move enough to get the headers in from above? I've not tried this yet so hence the question.

The two images show the left and right sides with the taped-up block without the heads.

PS. I am brand new to the Commodore having rebuilt a Vauxhall Carlton with a Chevy V8 about 20 years ago in Scotland so I am unfamiliar with the best way to go about some of the installations in the Commodore and I appreciate any of your guy's help that have done this before. It's been fun so far and I am enjoying getting on the spanners again after so many years living in Asia without a car. Totally loving the V8 Commodore and looking forward to getting it back on the road with the upgrades.

Attachments

• 20230514_172424.jpg
    20230514_172424.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230514_172429.jpg
    20230514_172429.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
for the drivers side undo the bolt and remove then take the splined knuckle out, then u will see the seal looking bit about 3/4 up the bar there is a metal clip around the shaft with a metal tang bent in so it cant come off, just lift up the tang so the seal can be lowered and now be very careful and slide the shaft out, this shaft is covered in capsulated bearings so shouldnt go everywhere but be careful just encase, also mark the position so it goes back in the same way and dont turn wheel as the steering angle sensor will be out of whack then, with the main bar not there its much easier to fit the shirt piece can be held out of the way

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
for the drivers side undo the bolt and remove then take the splined knuckle out, then u will see the seal looking bit about 3/4 up the bar there is a metal clip around the shaft with a metal tang bent in so it cant come off, just lift up the tang so the seal can be lowered and now be very careful and slide the shaft out, this shaft is covered in capsulated bearings so shouldnt go everywhere but be careful just encase, also mark the position so it goes back in the same way and dont turn wheel as the steering angle sensor will be out of whack then, with the main bar not there its much easier to fit the shirt piece can be held out of the way
Undoing the steering at the uj did the trick. The steering column moved enough to get them in before I put the heads back on. Didn't need that extra bit about undoing the tabs. Cheers mate.