Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP with leaving school! advice please!

ethann

Low And Luxurious!
Reaction score
Members Ride
'11 WRX, '73 Stingray, Lifted/Locked GQ.
I left at the end of year 10 3 years ago..
IMO, Best thing I ever did, I left, Had a 2 month break, Beach/spear fishing/beers, Was the life.
Once I had a bit of time hanging out with my best mate, I decided I was ready for a job, Started casual at my local IGA, Went full time, Did a traineeship there, Became a senior(Shift manager) Had to look after 3-4 juniors etc.
Recently (4 weeks ago) I left that job and started as a plant operator, Driving big tractors, I am absolutely loving it. Working with great guys, Have a great boss, The moneys good.

Would I go back and stay for year 11/12? I still happily say no.
I wouldn't have 1/4 of the things I have now, Letter-lone a Nissan Patrol with 35's/lockers/reduction gears/winch etc, A statesman with everything thats on it, + the numerous amounts of other hobbies I have.

Everyones different though, Thats just my experience with the beginning of life.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Just a heads up to youth (up to 21) who have not completed Year 12 or have a Cert II (in anything), if you apply for Centrelink benefits you will be required to study 25 hours per week until you achieve either Year 12 or Cert II. If you do not study 25 hours per week they will cut you off benefits.

Therefore it is not beneficial to leave school before you obtain these qualifications because you are going out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
finish school, i ended up with a **** UAI, but i didnt plan on going to UNI anyway, looks better having done the HSC, just get a weekend job to get some petty cash and give it bigger thought, as you will likely change what you want to do.

I did a diploma in web design after school and then decided i wasnt interested in doing it anymore.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I agree with basically everything in this thread. High school, even grades 11 and 12, are the hell of a lot easier then the larger world. You think assignments are hard? Then go get the mechanic apprenticeship you want and learn how much harder being the workplace ****-kicker is, especially for basically no pay.

In grade 12 I did my fair share of 2000 word assignments and 10 minute oral presentations, now at uni I am doing 4000-5000 word assignments and 20-30 minute presentations. One of my mates works in a job were basically every day he writes up documents over 5000 words, and some are much bigger, every day! School is a lot easier.

Does your school have a careers counselor? Go speak to them, they are a fountain of knowledge.

If you need an excuse for your parents to get out of school then getting out is definately not the option for you. You can either sit down with your folks and discuss this with them, or likely if you just make something up or whatever, it will probably result with you moving out, good luck with a Woolworths/McDolanlds/Apprenticeship wage.

bottleinspector

power starved westy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1
I left school at the end of year 10 and i always wanted to be a mechanic, my thoughts we're "whats the point of staying to do my hsc, only to be a more book smart mechanic"....i'm 26 now and have been a qualified diesel mechanic for 8 years now.....as for resumes and employment opportunities, i guess it depends on who is reading it / potentially employing you, but i believe my experience in the trade (various quality workshops), as well as good references and my ability has always got me the good paying jobs, not what it says under school education in the resume.
Thats my opinion and i respect the opinion of everyone else who has offered there's, its up to you to make your own decision at the end of the day, good luck which ever way you go.

luke

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
And what do you think about this School Based Apprenticeship?
Means I finish the HSC at school only doing like 3 subjects, get an ATAR (the new 'UAI')
Work part time as an apprentice, with pay....

What could go wrong? :)

SMURFTEC.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S Commodore
Mate, I graduated with a HSC last year, I am currently studying full time at university, trust me, in 13 years of schooling, year 11 and 12 where the best days of my life to date, the friendships you make the things you do and also how much you get to know your teachers and how that same relationship develops. My advice, even if university doesn't appeal to you, stick it out because if things don't go to plan and eventually you decide you want to study, without a HSC, your gonna have to do the both the preliminary and HSC course again unless you have attained a prelim certificate, where you only have to complete the HSC; this however is based on the education system in NSW.

Personally, just stick it out this year, cruise along, show that your interested, and atleast try, because most schools dont have to let you sit the HSC year, and on paper having done the HSC at a private school will look remarkably good. If you still are adamant on leaving, get the preliminary cert atleast, but if you plan to do an apprenticeship, time can be cut off it due to completeing the HSC.

SS 1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
in the end its up 2 u mate
there plenty of good stories out there on both sides. weather u finish now or yr 12.
for me i finished school in yr 10 done a few different jobs bcoz i didnt know what i wanted to do. but now @ 22 im a day 2 day manager of an aboriginal sports academy.
my cousin finished school @ 15 and now a owns his own cabinet making business.
so it can work out if u finish now. the only regret i have with leaving is not seeing my mates everyday. and now i lucky if i see them every 6 months
good luck with what u do.

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I left school when I was 15.. had 2 weeks off and then went to the Northern Territory to work full time, 3weeks on 2 days off, 12 hour days.
After being up north for 4years I decided to come live back down in Perth.

Wouldn't believe how hard it was to get a decent job (other than fast food or coles, etc) without finishing grade 12. The only reason I got the job I have now was because the managers were so fascinated by my last job they wanted to know more lol.

Although I was depressed in school (moved around alot) and slept more than I learnt lol, if I had my time over I would have probably stayed in school now and do something more for my future.

If you still do decide to finish up now - have a decent plan atleast. Schooling days are alot easier then working days.