Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help with lowering.

samkap

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy calais s2
Hey guys thought id make a forum account just so i can post this. Okay so i recently purchased a 2004 vy s2 calais. With it i got sssl for back and ssl for front. Im on my red p's and dont want trouble with the cops. I know sssl is illegal regardless or so ive been told. Will ssl front and back be legal (over 100m from my lowest point)? Or do i need to get somthing less. I have 19" rims on and guards are rolled. Thanks.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
In Victoria, according to VicRoads not only do you have to meet 100mm ground clearance, you also have to maintain 2/3rds of the vehicles original suspension travel.

For a VY sedan:

350mm from centre hub to guard - front
355mm from centre hub to guard - rear.

King Lows sit lower than this by a few millimetres. This means King Low springs would render your vehicle unroadworthy.

If you're worried about legalities, stick with FE2.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not legal. Lows are about as low as you should go, for reasons of practicality and legality.

Had my car low for a while, scraping on driveways and speed humps gets old pretty quickly. Put lows in with pump up shocks and now I'm happy enough. Can pump them up a little if I'm going to have people in the back etc.

samkap

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy calais s2
Ah thanks for the feedback fellas. So basically i need 4 new springs. Should i go to pedders?

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Technically Lows are illegal.

I had Lows in my VY. Sat 340mm front and rear.

However the ground clearance was 105mm from the lowest point.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Stay the hell away from Pedders. They charge an arm and a leg.

What exactly do you want to do? Raise the height with new springs in order to maintain roadworthiness?

samkap

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy calais s2
Basically when i got the car it was on its ass hard. For him to get rwc he had to get stock springs back in. So now ive got his springs which r useless to me. Right now the car is sitting high. Just wanted to lower it the max i can while as u said keeping it road worthy. And sorry im new to the suspension side of cars.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I must be getting old. Had low springs in my vy Ute. Looked cool, handled ok but was rather harsh on the shitty roads we pay to drive on. Driveways and speed humps were also a PITA.

My new Monaro is on standard wheels with standard springs and shocks and it's a 10x better car to drive everyday.

samkap

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy calais s2
Yeah i know the feel mate. Its so smooth right now. It may sound weird but i treat my calais like a ferrari lmao. I just ride my bike to work keep the kms low wash it twice a week. The standard ****. And usually take it out on weekends when i go highway. So im willing to lower it but nothing overkill. Problem is im a 3rd year apprentice wages arnt fantastic. So if i could use the ssl's i have in the front now instead of buying sl's and keep it legal and the cops happy that would be ace. But atm its looking like new springs all around.