Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my 1997 VT exec Auto

JAKUL8

Validated Victorian member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT excetive
Hey guys up untill two weeksago my car ran fine on petrol and gas then when driving from melbourne to geelong i noticed my engine light coming on for a few mins then going off then when running on gas my car would just die completly at 100ks down the freeway so i would put it in n flick to petrol then start it and then when i would get to geelong or melbourne city centres put it back to petrol with no problems. well today i tried to install a monster tacho an d i tried a few different brown wires and my tacho wires hit metal a few times and sparked in the end my tacho light would not come on so i think i may have shorted the tacho so i gave up. Then i went to start my car on petrol and it would not start when i turn my keys and all the lights come on in the dash i cant hear the fule pump only hear it once in every 5 tries. But when it does finaly start on petrol it idels really low almost dying and idels that low the engine just starts to shake the whole front of the car. And when i put it in reverse or drive my foot can be flat and there is just no power. But then i get her going on gas and it runs normal. Any help would leave me very gratefull

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
First thing I would do is check the engine diagnostic codes in the PCM. There are threads on doing this, but basically you short out two terminals on the connector under the dash, turn the ignition on (don't start the car though) and count the flashes on the dash.

E.g.

One Flash....Pause.....Two Flashes = 12

They repeat 3 times. 12 comes up first to let you know diagnostics is working. It's the codes after that you will want.

Double check this is in a workshop manual or google it or find one of the threads on it.

*Disclaimer* I take no responsibility if you short the wrong terminals.

JAKUL8

Validated Victorian member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT excetive
i have already tried this came up with a heap of faults then i dosconnected the battery for a bit started the car up for a bit and tried again and came back as 12. But i will come to the meet tonight hopefully get a few opinions and if its not bad go for the cruze in worst case take her home and get it fixed