Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my VN S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 mazda 808, VN S1, VH SLE
Hey all i have a Vn Series 1 and it was driving fine one day the next i was driving home from work and it just died on me wouldnt start, i went to tow it home an hour later and it fired again drove it another 5 kms and it died again??

fuel pump is still working, no fuses blown, just thought someone could help me pin point before i start changing coilpacks etc..?

thanks

poyter

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted 3.8lt 5 speed T5 manual VN S2 Commodore
it would be more likely its the crank angle sensor is gone. mine did that you drive along then it would just die you wait half hour till the crank angle sensor cools down then it will fire up again

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
Yeah mate as above. Probably your cas. Easiest test is to go for a drive with a cold bottle of water in your car, then when the car warms up it will probably stall again, then when it does tip your water bottle over the harmonic balancer (the big pulley at the bottom of the engine) and if the car starts up straight after that then its almost definately your cas. Good luck mate.

jamiepasslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1 S-Pack
Check the CAS first and if you have no luck, then try the same method with your DFI module.

Another more accurate way to check is when the car wont start, if the car has injector pulse and no spark, it'll be your DFI. If it has no spark and no injector pulse, then the CAS is fried.

poyter

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted 3.8lt 5 speed T5 manual VN S2 Commodore
the crank angle sensor controls your injector pulse and spark so when it stops check it for spark

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
coil pack could be gone they work when cool and die when hot borrow a set off a mates car and see if it fixes the problem only takes about 5 mins to swap them over

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 mazda 808, VN S1, VH SLE
Okay thanks boys.. im going to try the coil pack and DFI first, if not i will attck the CAS now its a series 1 im guessing its different to a series 2?

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
Good to hear mine was exactly the same except my new DFI plate is the wrong one which makes it hard to start and not run perfectly but will do until I can get to holden