Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my vs ASAP......

Vs-Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman
Hey all.... My v6 stato has developed a problem in the last few days.... sometimes when I start the car it makes a load pop noise and takes a bit longer to kick over. Also when im not accelerating it sounds like a motorbike idling but as soon as a touch the accelerater it stops... The car is duel fuel.. It has no affect on performance (or lack of haha). Its just annoying. Plus im swapping it on tuesday for a vt and dont want it doing that when I swap it off.... Any advice???

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Have you checked error codes???

Vs-Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman
I did and I got 23 45 65.... But I have no idea how to fix them haha

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Code 23 - Mass air flow sensor, Its the sensor just after the Air filter box. This will either be dirty and needs cleaning or will need replacing

Code 45 - RH O2 (Oxygen) Sensor Rich - Needs Replacing

Code 65 - LH O2 (Oxygen) Sensor Rich - Needs Replacing

The O2 Sensors are just screwed into the exhaust just after the headers :)

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Normally you fix them by replacing the parts that those error codes mention. If you are not going to do that that then you will not fix it.

My car also has the same problems at times (done it today) the only difference is that I have no error codes nor is it duel fuel.

Also when it played up the stater motor made a weird sound like the bearings or winding are shot.

Last edited:

Vs-Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman
Ok cool.. Thats easy enough.. The plug isnt in anything as previous owner added a pod filter and the sensor itself is out of tge box lid,and snapped.... Tho oxygen sensors are easy as I have replaced them before on my old vs

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Ok cool.. Thats easy enough.. The plug isnt in anything as previous owner added a pod filter and the sensor itself is out of tge box lid,and snapped.... Tho oxygen sensors are easy as I have replaced them before on my old vs

The plug is still there? just get another one from a wreckers maybe?

By the way the Mass air flow sensor is not the one in the lid. it is the one that should be on the inlet pipe. if that was not conected your car would run like ****. or not at all.........

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
My VS used to come up with those 3 codes all the time, and after trying to fix them for a while, I later on found out that those codes only came up because the car was on LPG, (and I have noticed all commodores on LPG that come into work have those 3 codes). Now that my VS is only running on unleaded petrol, theres no codes.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
^ As above, you need to have your MAF plugged in as your ECU needs to be having information sent to it so it can arrange the correct fuel to air ratio. It could also explain your O2 Sensors are sending back information about it running Rich.

Vs-Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman
Hmm.... Could be that lol.... That other plug is on. Just the one that goes on the lid is off... Ill get another lid and try it out..