Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my wagon!

MRVX00

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Berlina
Hey guys! I have a 2000 Vx Wagon 6cyl! This morning the car was running in a1 condition! I went to the servo and fueled up with 91 unleaded! I usually run the car in e10. It was fine until I hit the highway. The car started surging and puffing black smoke. After about 3 minutes of this it stalled while I was doing 100km/h! It hasn't stopped this since. I've checked the vacuum lines and that seems to be ok, then I checked the air filter, and it seems to be ok! It does it at any temperature and also when idling! Can somebody,(preferably a professional/guru) that knows these motors help me out?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
black smoke means unburnt fuel .. has to be running rich at least .. it wasnt burning oil before this ?

wonder if the 02 sensor is the problem

can you get the codes

Last edited:

MRVX00

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Berlina
I've spotted a large cut in my air intake hose, so I taped it up and it made a difference. If it starts doing it again, what should I do?

MRVX00

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Berlina
And no. It's never burnt oil. Just fuel. The fumes inside the car are unbearable.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Nah Husky e10 is more then safe to run in our cars. I think you're getting confused with e85..

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I wouldn't risk it. Late model car will always state if they are E10 compatible, and even the pumps say to only use in recommended engines.

E10 isn't worth it anyway, I did the sums on my partners Mazda2 and with e10 the reduced mileage more than outweighed the cheaper price.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I've spotted a large cut in my air intake hose, so I taped it up and it made a difference. If it starts doing it again, what should I do?
Black smoke = too rich fuel mixture,
Here's my guess. The cut in the hose was allowing too much air in and so the engine was increasing the amount of fuel to balance it. Since you weren't cranking at 5000rpm it was all too much for it.
Don't wait for it to do it again. Buy a proper hose now.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
I wouldn't risk it. Late model car will always state if they are E10 compatible, and even the pumps say to only use in recommended engines.

E10 isn't worth it anyway, I did the sums on my partners Mazda2 and with e10 the reduced mileage more than outweighed the cheaper price.

Yeah e10 certainly doesn't drive your dollar further, however it is compatible.

Officially every Holden post 1986 is e10 compatible, bar a small few imports that require minimum 95.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
meady...183, why does my 1999 VTii Commodore owners manual tell me explicitly that I should use 91 or higher octane rating? No mention of e10. As a matter of fact, the manual specifically warns against using any fuel not recommended by saying that such use may cause serious damage to your car and will void warranty.

Last edited: