Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my wagon!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
meady...183, why does my 1999 VTii Commodore owners manual tell me explicitly that I should use 91 or higher octane rating? No mention of e10. As a matter of fact, the manual specifically warns against using any fuel not recommended by saying that such use may cause serious damage to your car and will void warranty.

Probably because e10 wasn't really around in 1999?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Tasmaniak e10 was in use in Australia when my Telstar (other car) was made in 1993. The Telstar user manual warns against using e10 as e10 would cause damage to the engine and other parts of the fuel system and also void the cars warranty. Holden gave a similar warning in the 1999 user manual and probably others as well. I am guessing that e10 has caused a lot of problems with Commodores among other cars. I don't know why people do not read their user manuals. Lots of good information in them.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Tasmaniak e10 was in use in Australia when my Telstar (other car) was made in 1993. The Telstar user manual warns against using e10 as e10 would cause damage to the engine and other parts of the fuel system and also void the cars warranty. Holden gave a similar warning in the 1999 user manual and probably others as well. I am guessing that e10 has caused a lot of problems with Commodores among other cars. I don't know why people do not read their user manuals. Lots of good information in them.

Yes minimum 91, as was stated e10 is usually minimum 95. e10 is more then safe to use in your car and will have no real adverse side effects. The ethanol will also help absorb water thats in the tank. As i said, in relation to commodores, OFFICIALLY every commodore post-1986 is compatible.

http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-my-vehicle-operate-on-ethanol-blend-petrol-

There is no such warning in an COMMODORE book i have seen. Some imports yes but not commodore. If such a warning did exist, please post it up.

Stan003

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS t5 / VN S / GQ Patrol
I ran e10 once in a 93 Rodeo and its safe to say, it didnt like it one bit... i got about 10ks before it pretty much lost all power and it stalled wen it came to a stop. it took me almost 20mins to get it started again, and wen i did it wouldnt keep its revs up, had a massively rough idle, was popping and spluttering and would stall if the revs fell below 2500. I knew it was the fuel because i had never put e10 in it before and this had never happened before, so i filled up the rest of the tank (approx half the tank) with 98 and hoped for the best... it came good after that... never again will i put e10 in a car, unless it states that i can.