Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help!!!!!!!!!!!

vrstatesman5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR statesman
Got a 5.0 vr statesman on fuel and gas previous owner reckons he has put honed injecters and can in it but its a bloody slug. Barely starts have to put foot all the wat down for it to even try act like a v8 very loud backfiring coming from motor it stalls out when driving barely runs of fuel but sometimes it runs great I've replaced the coil new leads new spark plugs but nothing is making it any better thinking it might need to be tuned? Any ideas guys

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Timing/tune - fuel/air
check those out and maybe compression test

backfiring could be fuel igniting at the wrong time...

When it runs well, when is the difference, car warm? in the higher rev range only?

need more info

vrstatesman5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR statesman
Only runs good when warm or been sitting idling for a while would the honed injectors be putting to much fuel and not sparking it right? He says its cammed up and **** but in my opinion its stock. I've got a VP with stage 3 cam and a lot other **** done to it and goes absolutely great very fast of the mark but this vr is like its just struggling to perform honestly an v6 would blow its doors off with ease its thats slow

vrstatesman5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR statesman
Also when switching from gas to fuel it slutters and carrys on then just stays like that but sometimes it goes good straight away?

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
timing light! try that first.
sounds to me like u have a terrible ringmixer lpg setup. I had that switchover problem sometimes stalling. but on injected lpg u don't even notice it changing.
maybe he got dodge injectorjob done, ive heard of people drilling the bottom out to "get more fuel".
you should have 4 very tiny holes on the bottom of your injectors if theyre the standard bosch black inj. worth a look anyway.
otherthing is its a thrashed 5ltr in a weighty statesman. trust me I know... I fixed mine with a new worked motor :)

ps. if it was cammed youd know, if someone banged on about it being cammed up ect and it clearly wasn't. id put it down to the guy is full of bs, therefore I wouldent buy the car.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Also when switching from gas to fuel it slutters and carrys on then just stays like that but sometimes it goes good straight away?

When switching from petrol to lpg, alot of the older systems are wired up so that there is fuel overlap when power is initially given to the lpg system. So petrol and lpg are being sucked in at the same time causing them to run rich and display the symptoms you're describing.

Switching from lpg to petrol there should be no delay. If there's a delay and it doesn't run properly for a few seconds, I'd be looking at fuel pressure.

The backfiring and lack of power sounds like an ignition problem as speed demond said. I'd be looking towards the ignition module.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the timing first, and check for vacuum leaks.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E