Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need opinion on replacement clocksping

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
I went a bought a clockspring today from a local wrecker $65 which was alright if it works
I am now testing it with a multimeter to ensure its a good one, as to fit it, then get the airbag light reset
only to find the replacement clockspring was faulty is throwing money down the drain so wanting to confirm
my results to see if this is a good or faulty one. I will include pics to show terminals and then my test results
some feedback will be really helpfull guys.

Clockspring terminal 1 Airbag Airbag Plug terminal 1 yes continuity
Clockspring terminal 2 Airbag Airbag Plug terminal 2 no
Clockspring terminal 3 Horn Horn Plug terminal 2 yes continuity
Clockspring terminal 4 Horn Horn Plug terminal 1 yes continuity
Clockspring terminal 5 Audio Audio Plug terminal 2 yes continuity
Clockspring terminal 6 Audio Audio Plug terminal 1 yes continuity
Clockspring terminal 7 ?
Clockspring terminal 8 ?

clockspring1.jpg
clockspring2.jpg

The guy that posted the tutorial on replacing the clock spring does say

When I was at the wreckers the guy checked the clock spring's continuity for me, and also said something about it needs to be 0.4ohms (I'm not sure of this).
He also said the yellow square clip on the CS has a resistor in it and can't be checked for continuity directly. (Im not sure on this either)

Looking at the clock springs contacts. From the left, #1 - #2 are the airbags, and #3 - #4 are the horns. #5 - #6 are the audio, not sure about #7 and #8.

Thankyou for any opinions guys much appreciated.

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
if your airbag light comes on safe bet that it is the clockspring at fault when mine went i got one from the wreckers and it was stuffed. Lesson is dont get one from wreckers i ended up going to just commodore spares they sold me a good one got it reset, havent had airbag light come on since. If u take it to an auto electrition with a scan tool they can get a print out of all the voltages and resistances of your whole srs airbag system, and you can compare then to the allowable limits in the workshop manual. Ive got one, let us know and i can send you what all the voltages and resistances are meant to be and then you can work out if it is the clock spring at fault or not. More than likely it is.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Jasonzzz_petey
Thanks for the responce, Yes i figure my problem is most likely the clock spring as my audio controls on the steering wheel stopped working as well, quite some time after the air bag light came on
but never the less that could also be very easily attributed to clockspring failure which would add weight to the airbag light being clockspring failure as well.
I opted to try one from the wreckers while a risk, im trying to limit the amount Im spending on the car prior to trying to sell it, as it is the total will be around $1500 - $1600 then 6 month rego on top
so I cant go overboard or I wont get the money back upon sale which I need to upgrade to maybe a VZ with lower KLMs the VX has just clicked over 280 klms, however is in great condition but people will only pay so much for a car of that milage. I got a price of $33 from a local auto sparky to reset the air bag code with a scanner, so hopefully that will solve the problem and alow me to then get a safety cert for selling.
Regards Chris

glen84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Goodluck with it,

I replaced my Clockspring the other day as the horn wouldn't work and the airbag light was on. The horn is now working but the airbag light is still on, even after i tried to have it reset. All codes were cleared and showing no faults but light is still on, so i am pretty well stuck on what to do next

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Glen84
was it a new clock spring or a second hand one from a wrecker, if from a wrecker the airbag curcuit could have already been faulty although if that was the case
you would think that the scanner would have picked it up, sorry to hear that it didnt go well for you and hoping I have better luck with mine, fingers crossed ill let
you know on this thread once i have fitted the replacement and had the codes reset.
Regards Chris

glen84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Only a second hand one but if it's faulty it seems strange that the scanner isn't picking up faults with it.
Next thing I guess is fit a new bcm into the car and go from there.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Only a second hand one but if it's faulty it seems strange that the scanner isn't picking up faults with it.
Next thing I guess is fit a new bcm into the car and go from there.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the BCM has nothing to do with airbags.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well have fitted the clockspring that went well, and now my steering wheel audio controls work again
just have to get the code for airbag light reset and hopefully that will be fixed, Ill report back the results
once done.

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i replaced my clock spring for $25 (second hand) and had holden clear the error ($50).. if i knew it was that simple i would've shut that annoying beeping up ages ago haha... oh and also had them set my cluster in police mode while they had the tech 2 hooked up...