Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need some advice please :)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does cleaning the carbon off the pistons matter It didn't seam to on 202's and 308's when I had the heads off them the ones we cleaned seamed to more likely to #### up. wipe it with petrol blow it with air if the head gasket surface is clean put it on.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
As i said earlier, it doesnt really matter, the engine was running perfectly fine with the carbon there before it dropped the valve. But cleaning it will certainly help to find hairline fractures if there r any.

Carbon buildup can have a negative effect on performance...the engines arent built at the factory with carbon all over the components, so y not clean the crap off while uve got the chance?

U dont put dirty dishes back in the cupboard do u?

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
thanks for that guys,

so would using calibe coolant be ok from supercheap auto? its a concentrate

Calibre Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Concentrate - 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

im also thinking of running a mineral oil for the that first "run in ( it only needs to go upto operation temp and then cool back down) in that time i will drain the oil and put some penrite full synthetic 10-40 full zinc (every day) its called

1x coolant
2xoil filters
1xmineral
1xfull synthetic oil

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure about using mineral oil, might pay to do a bit more research on that.

Calibre coolant will be fine...coolant is coolant, as long as its mixed in the right ratio, it will work just fine (providing the rest of the cooling system is up to scratch)

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
i just grabbed some gulf western its on special atm for 14 bucks for 5 litres of semi synthetic so i grabbed 2 of them, i dont think it will hurt for 10-15mins of idling, then just going to chuck the penrite HPR10 everyday back in :)

i just grabbed nulon since i didnt know it was any good

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
i use nulon 10w-40, no complaints from me. i just buy it cos its conveniently available in 6L, which is good for the ls1

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
hey mate, cars all running :) would it be ok to run a semi synthetic for 5000? the gulf western im thinking... or would you take it back and get a nulon/penrite/shell

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
For the $10-$20 difference, i would take it back and get something better quality. As devilly said, she used gulf western once and it turned to crap pretty quickly.

I havent used it myself, but if in doubt...swap it out.

Good to hear the cars up and running again

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You're worried about running cheap oil in an engine with a piston that has kissed the valve and visibly marked it...
I know what i'd be replacing before thinking about what oil to run.