Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some advice

Vzutev62005

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz v6 ute
My 2005 vz v6 ute started to sound like a diesel on the way home the check oil come up on dash the oil was full got it home didn't drive it all week when I drove it the sound was a lot better but the next day on my way home it started to sound like a diesel check oil come on and off then the engine just cut out stopped got it towed home now it just cranks over ? Oil pressure sensor slugged up oil pick up trimming chain etc will a scanner tell me what is broken blocked ect thanks

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
More descriptive thread title o_O

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Are you a member of an Auto Club (RACV, RACQ, NRMA etc), if so give them a call and have them attend your (and vehicle) location. Most of them have scan tools etc and may able to identify the cause of your problem. It could be coil(s), fuel, electrical etc. Good luck.

hallb82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
This sounds almost identical to what happened to me. Even down to my engine shutting down and i had to get towed home. Mine actually started and was able to drive it onto the tow truck (didnt trust it to drive the 120k's home). Im guessing the oil pick up got sludged up and i got the service engine oil come up then it died not long after.

The next day i drained the oil and added a 50/50 mix of diesel and cheap new engine oil to clean as much sludge as possible. I was told about this method which sounded crazy but it was either try that or im up for a new motor anyway. Anyway it worked a treat and that was a couple years ago (or so) and i havent had a problem since and i do about 30,000k's a year but oil changes every 5000 to 7000 k's religiously. There is a thread on here about this where some blokes are for it and some are against it. What ever you do though, dont drive it with this 50/50 mix in your engine. Its just let it idle for 5 minutes at a time but do it half a dozen times then drain it and put in good fresh oil and hopefully your good to go. It worked great for me even though every inch of my body felt wrong putting diesel and oil down the oil filler hole.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sounds like sludged/low oil pressure.

You can try the diesel cleaning method nothing to lose really as if it fails the engine was cooked anyway. Only other option is a full strip down and clean which is exxy and damage may have already occurred rendering it useless.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
My 2005 vz v6 ute started to sound like a diesel on the way home the check oil come up on dash the oil was full got it home didn't drive it all week when I drove it the sound was a lot better but the next day on my way home it started to sound like a diesel check oil come on and off then the engine just cut out stopped got it towed home now it just cranks over ? Oil pressure sensor slugged up oil pick up trimming chain etc will a scanner tell me what is broken blocked ect thanks
If you are thinking about cleaing with a 50/50 oil diesel mix - try this as well.
With the oil drained and sump plug removed - remove the oil filter and slowly pour kerosene down the central oil way that feeds the filter.
The kero will slowly work its way back thru the oil pump and down into the sump through the pick up . This should remove any build up blocking the pick up . Note the vehicle has to be level for it all to exit through the sump plug . Do not re-fill with oil until you are sure it has all drained out .

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I wrote that first post about this a little while back im still not sure about it mecks at work recon us desil oil because it is oil minearal detugent that will break up the sluge

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Anyway it worked a treat and that was a couple years ago (or so) and i havent had a problem since and i do about 30,000k's a year but oil changes every 5000 to 7000 k's religiously.
Interested. These religious oil changes, where they after this happened or ALWAYS? And , were you first owner? Perhaps previous owner sludged it up for you?

I am concerned when someone has an Alloytec, services it every 5 k and still gets sludged, hoping I don't find out the hard way