Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some commodore know how. Please help!!

doggirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY storm ute 3.8L series II
Hi I have a vy storm ute 3,8L and it's my baby. Recently it has started using water and someone told me my head would be buggered. This would be very expensive. So. I was just wondering if there Is there any way to tell if you've done a head or just the gasket?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Depending upon the age of the motor, (original motor or replacement) the Km’s and the service history will determine what could/maybe wrong with it,
A lost of water in 9 out of 10 situations for a V6 in this case could be the LIM Gaskets.
Not a hard job to do, usually a couple of hours.
However, there is a kit you can purchase (approx. $40) that can tell you if you have a head gasket fault.
Keeping in mind, LIM Gaskets are a very common fault with the ageing V6 Commodores.
Can you visually see water leaking ?, is it over heating ?
The first thing I would check, are ALL the LIM bolts,
If any of them are lose, that is usually the first sign of water loss, I think you then have found your problem.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What is the cost condition of the oil and water , if either are a milkshake like consistency that would indicate gasket problems, it may be a leaking water pump , or radiator, .