Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help (simple thingy)

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey guys, well I want to connect my head unit to a computer power supply to make sure it works,

I can plug in the yellow (12v) to +12v
and the black (earth) to the -12v (am I even meant to do this? will it explode?!)

When I power the computer up the deck comes on for about 2 seconds saying good bye and then turns off.. what I'm wondering, is if the reason it turns off straight away because there's no accessory connected to it (just the black and yellow)? If this is the case how do I get it to come on, is there a certain voltage if any that goes into the accessory wire to tell the head unit to turn on? I have +5 -5 and +12 -12 available to plug it into if this helps?

I'm really inexperienced with head units (not computers, just car audio lol) so any advice would be great!

R

rattattack1313

ever hear of Ac and DC power mate?????? not good to run a car 12 volt anything off that sorta power supply...I do understand the method to your madness though.. just test it on the battery in tha car......put an in-line fuse on the pos side of things......

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
The computers power supply takes the AC and converts it into DC if that helps 'coz computer drives/hardware needs steady flow of electrons (lol) if this is what I need or not I wouldn't have a clue though!

If all else fails I'll just wait 'till I get a running car (VH battery is as dead as the VH) lol

Cheers mate!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes, you can switch it on via the PC, I leave the side of my PC of for quick access to 12V.

Twist the constant and the accessory wires together and poke them into the yellow wire plug. And then poke the black on into the black -12V, make sure no other wires are touching each other or the compputer chassis, this will create a short and either destroy the head unit or in somecases just tell it to switch off if the short is in the speaker wires.

The computers output is spot on 12V where as a car is above 12 and below 15. So it varies, do not try to run it permanently off, just switch it on, make sure it lights up and then unplug it as well. Because it won't be getting quite enough (close but no cigar) power it will try to draw an excessive amount of current from the PSU that it may not cope and destroy the PSU. Just be aware of this.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Actually Juzza, just after I made that post I decided that I really should do something about it...I don't like having the sides off for dust to gather plus the missus cracks the shits because it's so untidy..."but thats how a techs bench is supposed to look hun" So I quickly grabbed a couple of cheap speaker terminal blocks that I hate using for any sort of audio applications and created this...and yes, there is actually fuses mounted internally. I'm not silly ;) Now I just have to find the sides of the PC...haven't seen them for about 6 months...hmmmm :whistling :flame:

Sorry it's not a great picture, by webcam hates not having at least 1kw of lighting behind it ! lol

PSUPC.jpg

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Nice man, very nice lol.. I used one of those to make a fanbus (basicly some potentionmeters to control the loud fans) but it was the wrong one and I cracked it and threw the thing away.. I'm a nutter about the computers, wish I could say the same about my poor car lol

Can check out my crap here:
http://darkcold.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=11

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
You ripper!