Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help with my VR 1993 Sedan (v6)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I would say the stuff in the radiator was the pellet residue which is normal and something recommended for your model.... A way of telling is to gently squash the top hose if you can feel something resisting it's the pellets leaving their stuff on the internal rubber surface ... I doubt it actually oil as it's colour is different.
To lock the pulley you get a old belt install it so the ribs are in the grooves where it normally sits in the crank pulley and then grab the ends that are leaving the pulley together so they are in a sort of noose and wrap the belt and do a loop around the crank pulley again and let it come around back on itself even a couple of times if the belt is long and put the loop in the open end of the belt around the compressor pulley ... Then turn the crank pulley so it keeps winding the belt tighter and tighter and it will wind up until all the tension is taken out and lock the pulley... Then hang on a breaker bar with some pipe on it.to get the leverage and the big bolt will undo.... Normal right hand thread.

PhilChorusch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive v6
Thanks guy's for all your help, still cannot remove the crankshaft pulley bolt because the bastard keeps moving too much
But once I get a longer breaker bar from Super Cheap it will surely come off :)

I have a question regarding torquing specs, in the engine rebuild book the torque specs are written as
example 8 - 12 Nm whatever this means?

The only ways that I see the above exsample is that the bolt is 8" and the torque is 12 is this correct? Or do you add the numbers together
like 8+12=20 would the 20 Nm be the correct torque? I am very confused guys lol or could it be 8 divided by 12? which is equal to 0.7 approximately

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
8 - 12 Nm means the correct torque range is BETWEEN 8 and 12 Newton metres. A Newton metre is the metric torque (how tight you should do it up) unit. Pounds-feet (lb-ft) is the imperial unit. 1 Nm = .737562 lb-ft.
1 lb-ft = 1.35582 Nm. This information is meant to be used in conjunction with a torque wrench (which is best borrowed from a mate who can explain it's function).

PhilChorusch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive v6
Excellent :) Thanks heaps Rob

I am just assembling my manifold since my nephew pulled it completely apart and I'm having some trouble working out where on earth
the rest of the parts belong, would anyone have like a book on where the parts belong on the entire engine block "At least I've worked out where the gaskets go" lol
I have been trying to find a book of the engine itself but just cannot find anything

Thanks in advance
Regards, Phil

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Excellent :) Thanks heaps Rob

I am just assembling my manifold since my nephew pulled it completely apart and I'm having some trouble working out where on earth
the rest of the parts belong, would anyone have like a book on where the parts belong on the entire engine block "At least I've worked out where the gaskets go" lol
I have been trying to find a book of the engine itself but just cannot find anything

Thanks in advance
Regards, Phil

Holden Commodore / Calais / Statesman VR 1993 - 1995 Workshop Manuals / Factory Service Manuals

Stemmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr senertor vy spak vr spak
The most common reason for oil on the radiator cap is inlet manifold gasket you will see on the ends where the water passages are the thick gaskets go out of shape and and leak oil into the water

PhilChorusch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive v6
I have a question, where on earth is this wire plugged in please?
I am thinking it plugs into the alternator however there's nowhere to plug it
if so can someonw please post a photo, thanks in advance

where%20it%20goes.jpg

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
its the temp sender unit wire it go's onto the little brass thingamy bob(temp sender) right along side the temp sensor for the pcm in your pic...it just slides over the top of the lip

PhilChorusch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive v6
its the temp sender unit wire it go's onto the little brass thingamy bob(temp sender) right along side the temp sensor for the pcm in your pic...it just slides over the top of the lip

Ah I see, it's been looking at me the whole time and I didn't even noticed it lol
thanks heaps mate, I will connect it tomorrow