Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need to buy a spray gun

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
maybe because DYI painters dont use spray booths? A video of a respray in a spray booth is like saying.. here is how the pros do it. Since you dont have a spray booth, you'll have to think of something else..

people are looking for advice they can use.. like a professional showing them the easiest way to do a home respray, the various options that apply, potential problems and solutions. By all means, plug a particular kind of gun if thats what stock you want to get rid of.. but dont say 'this is the only gun thats useful' .. show them other options as well.

I see every day people saying you need a big belt drive compressor and a $400 gun to paint, and as a result I am sure a lot of people dont even try. Its just financially not worth it to spend a grand on equipment to fix paint damage on a bonnet, and they arent confident they can do the job anyway, so down to the local smash repair place it goes.

IMO, do a decent series of videos from start to finish..

*Heres a car, we want to do a doors off respray. We have a suitable place to spray it, but no spray booth.

We have a budget of $1000 to respray the car. Here are some options.. paint types.. gun selection.. tips.. compressor.. etc.. with explanations of why each choice was made and possible alternatives. *

This kind of stuff is useful. When suggesting paint types, suggest both cheap and expensive, explain the pros and cons of each paint, and by all means throw in a suggestion as to which brand you would like to sell them. When suggesting guns, do the same.

Your videos are just fine showing people how to do small scale stuff.. but has it occurred to you that you dont need a $400 gun to do a touch up? Offer alternatives, based on fact not just what you've heard from the paint rep yesterday, and you may actually contribute something useful. As it is, you are merely selling a product, and in most cases its not going to be the product most suited to the customers needs.

I Did a doors off $1000 respray video in my backyard. Also showed a good compressor and gun to use. To go through everything will take a lot of time and thats what I have.

CSM

bdj_007

Foose
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2002 Holden VX Equipe SII
best gun you could possibly buy on the market at the moment is the SATA Jet 4000 rp. sprays basecoat at 1.6-1.8 bar and clearcoat at 1.8-2.0 bar. i have one and wouldnt ever use anything else. the iwata w400 you should be able to pick up reasonably cheap. it's usually a 1.4 mm setup and it awesome for the price.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have a $100 supercheap suction feed gun with a 1.8mm tip and it seems to work just fine on most jobs. I mostly spray acrylic but I've used it for a couple small 2k jobs and some etch primer too and it seemed to cope well enough.

How much to spend on a gun is entirely dependent on how much work you will be doing with it. For 95% of people in this forum, a $100 gun is more than good enough. DONT buy a $50 multi-tool pack with a gun included in it though.. there is a minimum standard and those tools dont meet it.

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
Just some feedback on spray guns..
The iwatta senior sales rep just came in to the shop and I asked him about hvlp. He said 1% of his sales would be hvlp and if they are not setup right they can use more air then a normal gun. Thats just what he said not what may be so.

Also a painter from smart guys touch up service said he uses a hvlp touch up gun and it works good for him mostly spraying out in the open.

CSM

Last edited:

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
That doesn't supprise me Iwatta are not a real popular gun in the trade anymore most are now using Sata's and devilbiss GTI's now.

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
You should try the 4000 HLVP for base. Buy far the best base gun ive ever used. So much easyer to blend no mottle and uses less paint

bdj_007

Foose
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2002 Holden VX Equipe SII
@ sm00th: i agree. ive got a 3000 hvlp. awesome as for base. unfortunately not that crash hot for clear. thats where i have the 4000 rp

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
Just some feedback on spray guns..
The iwatta senior sales rep just came in to the shop and I asked him about hvlp. He said 1% of his sales would be hvlp and if they are not setup right they can use more air then a normal gun. Thats just what he said not what may be so.

Also a painter from smart guys touch up service said he uses a hvlp touch up gun and it works good for him mostly spraying out in the open.

CSM

Just found out the guy from smart guys has to use a hvlp by law so he has to like it.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
this thread is full of bs from one person!

shut it down lol

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
At a first glance, my $20 gun doesn't spray too bad by the way..