Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Needing my VT repaired, What are these parts?

guerilla_radio07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
G'day forum!

Been reading these forums for a little while on and off and i'm a first time poster. Recently took my 1997 VT Berlina down to the local holden dealership for a service, as they had a pretty good deal going.

Part of the service was they would do a safety check and see what was broken with car, I was aware it is in need of new brakes but a few of the things they listed I have no idea what they are or a price range I should be looking to pay for these parts to be fixed or replaced.

Well what i'm asking is if anyone would be able to explain to me what these things below are and a price range I should be looking for to pay to have these parts fixed.

The list;

- Lower Control Arm Bushes Worn
- Power Steering Pump
- Power Steering Rack
- Tie Rod Ends
- Castor Rod Bushes
- Engine Mounts
- Rocker Cover Gaskets
- Inlet Manifold Gaskets
- Pinion Seal
- Rear Diff Seal
- Front and Rear Pads
- Front and Rear Discs
- Spark Plug Leads

Well that is the quite long list there were a few things in there I understand what they were and could replace or fix them myself, but the car has done quite a few KM's at this moment its sitting on 289,000KM's.

Well thank you in advance for any help.

guerilla_radio07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just an update I have the car booked in for some repairs on monday.

The pads and discs are going to be replaced with Bendix brakes and a brake flush for $710.

Hope i'm not being ripped off.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
$710 sounds pretty reasonable. Would have saved money if you could do it yourself, its not a hard job to do mate.

guerilla_radio07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm not the best person when it comes to cars and at the moment my right hand is out of action (cut 3 tendons and in a arm brace for the time being) Also the mechanic is going to be going through the car in detail for no extra cost and see what is actually broken or needs replacing as he does not agree with the above list that I recieved from a Holden dealership.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
I'm not the best person when it comes to cars and at the moment my right hand is out of action (cut 3 tendons and in a arm brace for the time being) Also the mechanic is going to be going through the car in detail for no extra cost and see what is actually broken or needs replacing as he does not agree with the above list that I recieved from a Holden dealership.

ouch, hopefully you will be back and going in no time. Sounds fair enough mate, doesnt hurt to get a second opinion.

guerilla_radio07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
those parts would total roughly 400 bucks, so you could get another quote, but i don't think it will change much. I'd get a second opinion on all of those items holden listed. They like to over exagerate sometimes.

Pretty much word for word what the mechanic said today this particular dealership only has 1 mechanic and 10 or so apprentices and he said they may miss diagnose an issue which he is mor then happy to double check for me come monday.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
always good to get a second opinion mate, never know you mechanic might find less wrong with the car. Holden may have been overzealous when doing their check.

guerilla_radio07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
So the car went in today and thye said it was going to take couple of hours and it was been like 4 hours so I decided to ring them and ask them how it was going because I was heading down that way for lunch.

I spoke to one of the other mechanics who had been working on my car and he said to me that they had changed the pads and discs but when they were doing the brake fluid flush they discovered that the master cylinder was broken (not sure what this is and the bloke didnt seem too keen to tell me what it was) He told me that they had one coming from the wreckers and hopefully it should get there today.

Would I be able to notice if my master cylinder was broken? As I know the brakes were on their way out but there were still breaking.

Also is a mechanic able to charge me for something I didnt ask them to do or even know that they were going to do?