Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neon boot wiring

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
hey, i've got a '92 vp calais and im looking to put 2 neons in my boot to accent my stereo, i want the wiring so when i turn the lights on they also come on, i have the wires from my old towbar which i removed in the boot, can i run the neons into there or how should it be wired??

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
why dont you just wire it in to the boot light so that when the boot opens the neons come on. because whats the point of having them on with the lights when you wont see it half the time. too wire it in to the boot light find the switch that turns the boot light on and off then pull the wire from the back off that to stop the fuse blowing or just remove the fuse. then get the wires for your neons solder the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative. then remove the globe and solder the neon wires on to the terminals for the bulb. (or if you want to keep the boot light there as well then pull it out a bit and splice on to the wires instead)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea mate, L8N is right. Depending on where you want to put them. You just need to tap in the circuit that you want to use. ie if your lights are on they come on, or if its just the boot light just tap off that circuit. If they are in the boot and you just want to see them when you open the boot run them off the boot light circuit. Really quick and simple.

You could even have an alternating switch to allow you to use the neons or boot light.

Just depends on what setup you want. Tell us how you want them to run and we will tell you how to hook it up.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
thanks for the suggestions guys, though still not exactly what i wanted, as u were sayin u wont see them half the time, 1 will b placed between the middle fold down seat so it will b visble from the interior and the other in the boot iluminating my amp, so i would like them 2 run wen i turn the lights on, and do u know if i can run them off those towbar wires that r jus sitting there rather than hacking into other working wires?

ad_man53

Reaction score
just use a multi meter and find which one out of those wire has power with the lights, there will be one for the rear tail lights on the trailer.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i wouldn't wire off the lights. you won't be able to turn them off separately and cops will fine you if caught driving with them on. just wire them to a switch on the dash.

W

Whitevtberlina

hey kinda same topic i drive a vt and i put a ss front bar on so i wired the lights behind the headlight unit to the parker lights so when i turn my lights on the fog lights come on i also wired it so when i turn the car off and open the door the lights all cut off. so im guessin to do wat u want to do, get one of those light test thingys and put your parkers on find which is the parker power wire and obviously the black is negative, or even still your brake lights will do the same job find the wires that turn the lights on when you have your head lights on and wire it off that, sounds like jibberish but its really easy..hope this was helpful

O

Owen

where si the best place to put neons on a vk calais?
and how would i wire them up?

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
under the dash to light up the foot wells is the most popular spot for neons then just get a 4way adaptor thats the easyiest way